MP 15-22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Tac20 mark

MP 15-22

#1 Post by Tac20 mark »

Thinking of buying one of these for a plinker club gun any views on them reliability ect
Andy

Re: MP 15-22

#2 Post by Andy »

Very reliable and affordable. Plenty of spares and aftermarket accessories available.

I don't personally own one though, I have a Kriss defiance.
Which is expensive,and not that reliable!
Deadeye18

#3 Post by Deadeye18 »

Ive got one and it's very reliable and surprisingly accurate,It shoots everything I've put through it from subsonic to HV without any problems,mines most accurate with the 42 max Winchester subs.Its lightweight and easy to strip down and clean.You can get loads of aftermarket parts for them so all in all they're pretty good.The only thing I can think of as a negative is the length of pull feels short(and I'm short!)even with the stock extended and the A2 style pistol grip is skinny.I don't regret buying it .
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Most reliable .22 semi-auto i've owned or seen been used but a bit like belly buttons.
DVC
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#5 Post by Alan D »

I would imagine they are cheap and cheerful second hand, too light and plastic for my taste, but they certainly seem to be reliable and reasonably accurate.
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by Webley »

Dead eye, I thought the 15-22 used standard fit AR parts so you can customise it with a fatter pistol grip to fill your hand a little more and longer stock if that is what suits you.

Matt
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Webley wrote:Dead eye, I thought the 15-22 used standard fit AR parts so you can customise it with a fatter pistol grip to fill your hand a little more and longer stock if that is what suits you.

Matt
MOST proper AR parts fit it, with a couple of exceptions/or need 'adapters'. The lower receiver is wider than an alimunium AR so you need longer trigger/hammer pins and propriety safety catches. You also need an adapter nut to fit standard AR handguards but thats pretty much it.

All pistol grips fit it though and stocks (although some need fettling to minimise wobble).
DVC
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

Blackstuff wrote:
Webley wrote:Dead eye, I thought the 15-22 used standard fit AR parts so you can customise it with a fatter pistol grip to fill your hand a little more and longer stock if that is what suits you.

Matt
MOST proper AR parts fit it, with a couple of exceptions/or need 'adapters'. The lower receiver is wider than an alimunium AR so you need longer trigger/hammer pins and propriety safety catches. You also need an adapter nut to fit standard AR handguards but thats pretty much it.

All pistol grips fit it though and stocks (although some need fettling to minimise wobble).
Ensuring you are buying either a commercial spec or military spec stock in terms of the buffer tube diameter might help the wobble.

There are some stocks that clamp down really nicely on most buffer tubes, I’m sure one of the AR wizards on here could help choose one.
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

They have commercial sized buffers but even if you get that right then some stocks have wobble. Most can be fixed with a strip or two of electrical tape at the 12 o'clock position on the buffer tube though.

I've got a Fab Defense GL shock stock on mine and its solid
DVC
Deadeye18

#10 Post by Deadeye18 »

Matt
Hello Matt yeah there's lots of options to replace grips and stock but that's a future project as all my pennies are being saved for more rifles at the minute.