LBP Maintenance/cleaning

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

Re: LBP Maintenance/cleaning

#11 Post by Hixus »

What ammo do you guys use I’ve been using federal American eagle 40gr and it has been intermittent. Today or example the first couple of rounds misfired but you could see the hammer mark on the casing, and then away she went..
I then had jams when a shell didn’t eject In time and the bullet started to load, random issues.

The guys suggested getting some eley force ordered into the shop which is slightly higher grain

Any thoughts?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

I use CCI mini-mag as it works well in my three .22's and is relatively clean for .22lr. Once i've ran my current supply down i'm going to give Geco a go as its had good reviews and is a hell of a lot cheaper than mini-mag!
DVC
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#13 Post by J4mes »

I use Geco in my K22 and it works great!

Cleaning....hmm....I'll clean it when it stops working and grouping perhaps.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#14 Post by TattooedGun »

As Blackstuff, I use my LBP for competing.

I clean and lightly lubricate my pistol after every range visit, and prior to competition I strip all my magazines, clean and lubricate them with silicon spray/silicon cloths to ensure the rounds glide through them and don't jam in the mags, and to make sure the magazines are nice and slippery so they go in and come out of the gun without binding even a smidge.

The reason: Reliability. In practical competitions, reliability is everything. At the top end, one jam can cost you a competition, why would you risk it over a 5-10 minute cleaning regime? If nothing else it gives you confidence that you're starting from a clean and lubricated pistol.

I've shot around 12 competitions in the last 12-16 months and the number of jams / feed issues using Eley Force has been precisely zero. I'm practically lying on the desk trying to touch as much wood as possible here as I'd like to keep it that way.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#15 Post by TattooedGun »

As an aside, I'd like to point out that your mileage may vary, but from personal experience I've seen people who "never clean their pistols" in competitions and in training constantly getting jams and blaming the ammo, pistol, modifications and everything except for not maintaining their firearm. if you look at the top end of any shooting, be it Olympic, F-class, Practical, etc. Those very top guys will be cleaning their kit and keeping it well maintained like clockwork - because equipment failure is always an option, but the risks can be mitigated.

It really is a solid idea to get into the habit as early on as possible.
Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

#16 Post by Hixus »

Really great advice guys! I’ve asked my local club if they can order in some eley force for me to try in my gsg I will also have to give the CCI mini mag a go.