Next Purchase

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

Re: Next Purchase

#21 Post by BamBam »

Nelly2014 wrote: Aha, I take it you're a pretendy AR fan lol. I have had the privilege of firing a .223 M&P 15, a completely different all metal animal which I think you can buy for $600 ish in Walmart. 'Our' 15-22 is made for .22lr and cannot be made to fire anything else and does so reliably and accurately for 1000s and 1000s of rounds.
Most members at my club have CMMG/Lantac/Spikes and sneer at us few cheapskate plastic rifle fans, until their 'real' AR's fail to cycle, break firing pins or just don't work for some inexplicable reason.
It's been 6 years since Walmart sold Modern Sporting Rifle like the M&P15, they've recently stopped selling .223 and other "pistol" calibres in their ammunition sections.

The M&P 15-22 is ideal AR style rifle for the novice, plenty of parts available from various sources.
Just don't mess with it too much, the grip thread is prone to stripping itself if you get close to over tightening it a few times. If you don't tighten it enough then pressure on the grip can split the grip nub, which is part of the lower and ruin the whole rifle!
The extractors are still prone to failure and recently after market triggers have started breaking the firing pins at high round counts.

Pick one that suits the type of shooting you do the most and enjoy it.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#22 Post by Mattnall »

Nelly2014 wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote: Smith is light, surely but the advantage of that is you can put loads of kit on it and still not weigh as much as yer average 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.
What do you call "yer average" Smith then?

I guess it's something that only aspires to be a 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.
Aha, I take it you're a pretendy AR fan lol.
I am a fan of the AR style of rifle, and have used it in many guises from M16/M4 to straight-pull, .22lr to 9mm.
I like the ease of use and customisation of the AR style. For what I use them for they are eminently suitable and one of the best tools for the job. I haven't used a Smith yet and will not make a judgement until I do.

However, I was wondering why you seemed to feel the need to put down pretendy ARs when what you were advocating is an even more pretendy AR. Seemed a strange way to try and big up the Smith.
From what I've heard the Smith is a reliable rifle and seems, therefore, to be good value for money. The only negative reports I hear regularly is the plastic feel to it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#23 Post by Nelly2014 »

I am a fan of the AR style of rifle, and have used it in many guises from M16/M4 to straight-pull, .22lr to 9mm.
I like the ease of use and customisation of the AR style. For what I use them for they are eminently suitable and one of the best tools for the job. I haven't used a Smith yet and will not make a judgement until I do.

However, I was wondering why you seemed to feel the need to put down pretendy ARs when what you were advocating is an even more pretendy AR. Seemed a strange way to try and big up the Smith.
From what I've heard the Smith is a reliable rifle and seems, therefore, to be good value for money. The only negative reports I hear regularly is the plastic feel to it.[/quote]

Well, this is my point. No one ever says that the Glock has a plasticky feel. And why should it be a negative? Guys who ask for advice or recommendations can frequently be pointed in the direction of Spikes/Lantac et al and in my experience be made to feel obliged to spend anything up to £2000 when you include all the mods and a good optic. People win matches with the 15-22 because it is made precisely for the job it does very well and at a budget price. We get royally ripped off enough in the UK without having to pay twice as much as in the country of manufacture. If I ever decide to buy a .223/5.56 it will be a AR 15 of some sort in it's nanny-state straight-pull version and I would also look for the .22lr action to go with it.
I was recently offered a Spikes set up with all the Gucci gear and a top scope for £750. It cost the guy well over 2 grand and he had been 'talked into it'. If I had had the slot I would have bought it just because it was so cheap.
Each to their own and if you've got the cash, why not? But I have issues with people being made feel they need to spend a small fortune when better more reliable kit is available for half the amount.
Still I suppose this happens in all sports.I hear golf is even worse for equipment snobbery lol.
Anyway it's only discussion and opinions, which apparently are like a-holes lol. Have a good Xmas
Mattnall

#24 Post by Mattnall »

That's all well and good and I fully understand everything you say except if (for example) a Lantac is a "demasculated £1500 pretendy AR", what do you call a Smith? A demasculated £600 pretendy AR?

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
BamBam

#25 Post by BamBam »

Oi, I'd like to point out that my Lantac was £995-. ****

The cheapest Lantac AR in the USA is about $1300-
MistAgain

#26 Post by MistAgain »

BamBam wrote:Oi, I'd like to point out that my Lantac was £995-. ****

Didnt Lantac drop their UK prices recently ?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#27 Post by Nelly2014 »

Mattnall wrote:That's all well and good and I fully understand everything you say except if (for example) a Lantac is a "demasculated £1500 pretendy AR", what do you call a Smith? A demasculated £600 pretendy AR?
I know you really want the last word but;
I am using 'demasculate' as a euphemism or figure of speech to indicate that you take a big manly metal AR-15 of some sort what fires fast powerful frangible ammo and make it fire girly .22 rimfire. A bit like ripping the V8 out of a out of a 'muscle car' and replacing it with a ecoboost 1.2 and charging twice the original price.
Whereas, you start with a plasticky S&W 15-22 what fires girly .22 rimfire and is not changed or altered inherently from the job it was intended to do.

Anyway this really is my last word as I don't wish to disrupt the man's original thread any further with pointless point scoring.
Mattnall

#28 Post by Mattnall »

Sorry, Nelly, not point scoring at all, I was just curious of your choice of words.
I didn't mean to upset you.

BamBam

#29 Post by BamBam »

MistAgain wrote:
BamBam wrote:Oi, I'd like to point out that my Lantac was £995-. ****

Didnt Lantac drop their UK prices recently ?
Nope, introduced the LA-SF15 which is a forged rifle and entry level, the full option billet Raven is also available, as is the Stealth Raven model.