Next Purchase

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

Re: Next Purchase

#11 Post by BamBam »

Nelly2014 wrote: yer average 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.

lol
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

Nelly2014 wrote: Smith is light, surely but the advantage of that is you can put loads of kit on it and still not weigh as much as yer average 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.
What do you call "yer average" Smith then?

I guess it's something that only aspires to be a 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#13 Post by DaveB »

shotgun sam wrote:Why a 15 22?
I have 2 ruger 10 22's which I have found to be more reliable than those in the club that have the likes of the 15 22.
The 10 22 also has the advantage of different stock style that are easily changed over which if you so desire can replicate different types of military looking rifles.
I use my 10 22's for fun at the range and hunting and know if you press the trigger it goes bang
I have two Ruger 10-22s for pest control (one suppressed and one not) and I STILL reach for the S&W 15-22 when I want to shoot for fun.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

i'd deffo buy the 15/22 s/h if you can, theres nothing really to break on them. I bought mine from a member of my club who was on their practical team, ok, it was ceracoated silver and had no trigger, but other than that, it's been fine!! lol.

I also have a ruger 10/22, its a very fun, lovely gun, but the smith is faster, therefore more fun
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote:i'd deffo buy the 15/22 s/h if you can, theres nothing really to break on them.
Well, i'd add the caveat; as long as you know what you're doing with them! You can turn one into an expensive paperweight quite easily treating it the same as a normal AR (spinning an unclamped barrel or overtightening the pistol grip for example).

They are brilliant rifles however and in my experience the most reliable .22 I've ever seen/used in competition. I haven't had a single rifle related failure and mines at least 50,000rds in. I've had a few (less than 10) failures to fire which turned out to be no/insufficient primer compound in the round (all CCI mini-mag!) and I had a magazine split at the feed lips on me after being dropped too many times which caused failures to feed until I realised what was wrong.
Last edited by Blackstuff on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVC
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#16 Post by CraigH »

shotgun sam wrote:Why a 15 22?
I have 2 ruger 10 22's which I have found to be more reliable than those in the club that have the likes of the 15 22.
The 10 22 also has the advantage of different stock style that are easily changed over which if you so desire can replicate different types of military looking rifles.
I use my 10 22's for fun at the range and hunting and know if you press the trigger it goes bang
I'm not a huge fan of the 10/22 - can't say why, just does nothing for me.

If I was to get a 10/22 it would have to be one of the tricked out, fancy stock, Volquartsen barrel, upgraded trigger malarkies - but at the minute I just want something fun that shoots lots of ammo really fast.

When I mature into a grown up I will probably add the 10/22
BamBam

#17 Post by BamBam »

I had a tricked out VQ barreled 10/22 all ready, ergonomics are why I have AR style rifles now.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#18 Post by Nelly2014 »

Mattnall wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote: Smith is light, surely but the advantage of that is you can put loads of kit on it and still not weigh as much as yer average 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.

I guess it's something that only aspires to be a 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.
Aha, I take it you're a pretendy AR fan lol. I have had the privilege of firing a .223 M&P 15, a completely different all metal animal which I think you can buy for $600 ish in Walmart. 'Our' 15-22 is made for .22lr and cannot be made to fire anything else and does so reliably and accurately for 1000s and 1000s of rounds.
Most members at my club have CMMG/Lantac/Spikes and sneer at us few cheapskate plastic rifle fans, until their 'real' AR's fail to cycle, break firing pins or just don't work for some inexplicable reason.
RDC

#19 Post by RDC »

I'm hoping to get a 15-22 soon for next year's mini rifle season.

Spent the last few years doing club comps and more recently the UKPSA postal league with a 10/22 in an ATI AR22 stock, but it's not ideal for being competitive in mini rifle.
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#20 Post by CraigH »

Nelly2014 wrote:
Mattnall wrote:

Aha, I take it you're a pretendy AR fan lol. I have had the privilege of firing a .223 M&P 15, a completely different all metal animal which I think you can buy for $600 ish in Walmart. 'Our' 15-22 is made for .22lr and cannot be made to fire anything else and does so reliably and accurately for 1000s and 1000s of rounds.
Most members at my club have CMMG/Lantac/Spikes and sneer at us few cheapskate plastic rifle fans, until their 'real' AR's fail to cycle, break firing pins or just don't work for some inexplicable reason.
I've just returned from Canada last week, while I was there I visited a range so got to play with some .223 AR's (which inspired me to seek something similar out when I returned to UK), 9mm pistols and a .44 magnum.