Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

#1 Post by 7792 »

Hey guys, I want to get an EoTech XPS2 for my .22lr M4 clone. The gear-whore in new claims that a Chinese clone just won’t look or function as well as the real deal whilst my wallet (and my wife) say it’s dumb to spend nearly £600 on a sight for a rimfire plinking rifle...

What’s your opinion, do you think rimfire AR rifles are worthy of expensive optics or is it not worth the bother?

If you have an EoTech or Trijicon or whatever did you go new, second hand or clone?

Discuss!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

#2 Post by shugie »

My experience with Chinese clone sights as that they don't hold zero well, have variable quality optics but are suitably cheap for plinking.

As I use my CMMG for club gallery rifle, I have a second hand ACOG on it, and regard that as a good choice. For speed steels I just use a red dot.
Careful now/that sort of thing

#3 Post by 7792 »

Thanks for the reply.

I’m tempted to get the Guncraft 22wmr AR and stick an Acog on it but would have to find a good 2nd hand deal as they’re very pricey new!

Where did you get the Acog from (if you’re allowed to tell me here?)

The potential for a clone to not hold zero or have a bad reticle is what makes me think I should go for the real deal. I know there are other, good, red dots or whatever out there for less than the XPS but half of gun ownership to me is what they look like, and I love the look of the EoTechs...
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

Bought the ACOG off someone on here as I recall, they do come up from time to time. The tritium is very faint, but that's not an issue.
Careful now/that sort of thing

#5 Post by 7792 »

Yeah, I think that’s to be expected on the used Acogs tbf.

Ever looked into whether it can be recharged (or whatever the correct term is)?
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#6 Post by Airbrush »

I’ve been using an Eotech on my .22 AR for over 10 years. My advice look through one first because if you have an astigmatism & you don’t wear glasses to correct it you’ll get a ‘ghost’ reticle which is annoying.

As an optic they’re superb & I wouldn’t hesitate in splashing the cash on a new one, don’t waste your money on a clone.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

7792 wrote:
I’m tempted to get the Guncraft 22wmr AR and stick an Acog on it but would have to find a good 2nd hand deal as they’re very pricey new!
.22WMR could prove pricey for plinking compared to .22LR
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

A quality optic can be an investment. It will probably outlive your current rifle.

I am against any form of counterfeit products, anybody that sells them has a questionable morality that has no place in UK shooting.

#9 Post by 7792 »

snayperskaya wrote: .22WMR could prove pricey for plinking compared to .22LR
Oh I know! But let’s face it, You don’t get into shooting to save money!

#10 Post by 7792 »

BamBam wrote:A quality optic can be an investment. It will probably outlive your current rifle.

I am against any form of counterfeit products, anybody that sells them has a questionable morality that has no place in UK shooting.

Sure, but there’s ‘counterfeit’ where they fake the logos to pass it off as real thing and clones that are just red dots in an EoTech style housing without attempt to mislead.