semi Auto .22WMR, thoughts anyone?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: semi Auto .22WMR, thoughts anyone?

#11 Post by kennyc »

the running man wrote:Pokey little round, i wouldn't like to get shot with one, considering its power, im surprised its semi auto availability is not banned.
its a .22 rimfire they were expressly excluded from the ban on semi auto actions, the HMR (which in my opinion would be safer used in a semi auto than bolt or lever action) is a .17 rimfire so isn't allowed (mainly because they didn't exist at the time of the ban)
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#12 Post by meles meles »

Not a semi-auto, but you could do far worse than one of these https://youtu.be/34ySSm16juE

We were going to issue them in .22WMR as a Melessturmgewehr to every sett if the badger cull hadn't been cancelled. Now that the tables are turned, we're still issuing them...

*Places a loo roll as bait against a good backstop, takes up a position in the hide*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#13 Post by the running man »

kennyc wrote:
the running man wrote:Pokey little round, i wouldn't like to get shot with one, considering its power, im surprised its semi auto availability is not banned.
its a .22 rimfire they were expressly excluded from the ban on semi auto actions, the HMR (which in my opinion would be safer used in a semi auto than bolt or lever action) is a .17 rimfire so isn't allowed (mainly because they didn't exist at the time of the ban)
thanks for the recap, its also the reason most ranges dont allow .17 hmr but do allow .22 wmr, ie the rules were made b4 17 came along. I gotta be honest the difference in power between 22lr and 22wmr was clearly something they missed, theres not a lot between one of those and a downloaded 223.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
kennyc

#14 Post by kennyc »

the running man wrote:
kennyc wrote:
thanks for the recap, its also the reason most ranges dont allow .17 hmr but do allow .22 wmr, ie the rules were made b4 17 came along. I gotta be honest the difference in power between 22lr and 22wmr was clearly something they missed, theres not a lot between one of those and a downloaded 223.
You would really have to download a .223 to get to whammer power levels, I got rid of mine because I can reload .223 cheaper than buy WMR O:-) but the WMR is still a very potent little round and was underestimated for quite a while because of the HMR popularity
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well she obviously cannot be arsed to post a picture of her 'Ultimate post apocalyptic' rifle so here it is :)
CZ512.jpeg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles

#16 Post by meles meles »

Ovenpaa wrote:Well she obviously cannot be arsed ...
* Steps quickly back, acutely aware of very thin ice cracking all around... *

"Errr, who's 'she' ooman? The cat's mother ? 'em cartridge cases might not be the only thing smacking you in the chest if you aren't careful."

Looks a nice rifle though, and we've heard great things about the accuracy of CZ 512s in .22LR, so one in .22 Whammer might be pretty awesome.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

DL.

#17 Post by DL. »

Ovenpaa wrote:Well she obviously cannot be arsed to post a picture of her 'Ultimate post apocalyptic' rifle so here it is :)
An Ase S5 is a bit overkill for a rimfire round isn't it? lol
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

The WMR is a tad spiteful and the can we tried before was struggling hence this one was tried and worked.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc

#19 Post by kennyc »

Ovenpaa wrote:The WMR is a tad spiteful and the can we tried before was struggling hence this one was tried and worked.
I found the venerable parker Hale MM1 worked well to silence the boom, nothing will stop the supersonic crack though shakeshout
meles meles

#20 Post by meles meles »

Maybe one of these?

https://youtu.be/SKdVY3Q01v4

The CZ 512 is available in the UK, and it may be possible to import the stock
Badger
Badger Korporashun