Tell me about your custom Ruger 10/22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Tell me about your custom Ruger 10/22

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

As the subject really, I am interested in hearing from anyone running a custom 10/22, or even standard one. What have you done/had done to it, what do you use it for and how does it perform?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Tell me about your custom Ruger 10/22

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

mine is fairly standard, but found it to be a lot more accurate than I was expecting. it was 2nd hand and I think it may have a better than standard trigger in it
I've changed;
bolt handle - stainless one with large handle.
bolt hold open
stock.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

Tried to post a picture, however, unable to upload for some reason?

I have a heavily modified Ruger 10/22, only standard parts are the receiver and bolt. Magpul stock, Timney trigger, Power Custom parts (firing pin, extractor and charging handle), fibre shock buffer, Volquartsen carbon fibre barrel (16”).
The rifle was modified after I had purchased it new by the shop where I purchased it, however, once modified I never felt that it cycled correctly, even after two other RFDs looked at it, but a trip to Roger at Rimfire Magic sorted it and it now cycles perfectly without problems. With hindsight, I wish that I had purchased it as a semi-custom rifle was Rimfire Magic.

The rifle is used for general target shooting (not competition). My only gripe is that I find the 10 round (BX1) magazines fiddley to strip and clean (winding up the spring), also use 25 rounds magazines (BX25), these too can sometimes have ‘issues’, but if working they are great fun to shoot with.

If you would like to discuss further, do not hesitate to call, you should have my mobile number.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#4 Post by strangesam »

I've one of Roger and Sheila's, Rimfire Magic guns,

RM Receiver (aluminium milled receiver with integral picatinny rail)
Ruger bolt, fettled by RM
Ruger BX trigger, fettled by RM
modified bolt hold open.
Green Mountain 16" Bull Fluted Barrel
Extended Charging Handle
Extended under trigger magazine release (fettled by me as it caught on the bolt catch)
Swapped out the bolt retaining pin with one of the polymer ones to reduce the clank each cycle.
Boyds Blaster Stock, (Though I'm seriously considering ordering one of their At-One stocks, as its not quite right for me)
Hawke Frontier 2.5-15 x 50 SF L4A Dot Scope, mounted on a 2" hawke extension ring, as the eye relief is a bit long.
Often paired with an A-Tec Wave moderator and CCI HP Subsonic (which was the most accurate stuff I tested last time I did a ammo test)

I use it mainly for prone LWS comps.

The gun is more accurate than I am (5 in same hole off rest at 25m with the right ammo) But right now the stock is annoying me, i have to get into just a slightly awkward position to be stable.

Gun is reliable, feeds well from ruger BX-1 and BX-25 magazines (ammunition dependent), only generally have issues when I don't clean the action often enough. Doesn't like the after-market drum magazines at all.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

I’ve had a 10/22 in my cabinet for as long as I can remember. From big standard to full custom VQs. Currently have a blued Target model with the barrel shortened, dropped in a Magpul stock, with a Timney trigger unit. Low power variable Leupold in Warnes, and a Wildcat mod. Extended bolt handle, Ti firing pin, EDM hardened extractor all from Power Custom.

The bolt was polished and radius on the bottom rear of the bolt to remove the tiniest of material. Runs all day long on subs now.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

I have two 10-22s: one for competition in the local .22RF matches at the Service Rifle Association; and one suppressed for pest control on the farm. Pretty standard synthetic stock models with the exception that both triggers have been replaced with the BX25 triggers, which I found a real improvement over stock triggers. Both wear variable power scopes, one a Vortex and the other a Nikon.

Sadly we are no longer allowed any magazines with a greater capacity that 10 rounds, so my 15 round magazines had to be surrendered to the [evil] government.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

Mine is the so-called 'target' model, purchased second hand. It has a Butler Creek heavy fluted barrel, a full Volquartzen trigger unit, and the 'usual' bits and pieces such as an extended magazine release, bolt buffer and cocking handle etc. I bought a Hogue stock for it, which is probably the best thing about it.

Accuracy-wise, it's no great shakes. It just underlines the difference between what folk in the USA class as a 'target' rifle and what we do. It's a lot of fun, though, which is what 10/22's are all about.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you all for your comments, what sort of accuracy is acceptable from a trick 10/22 rested. I never really have a chance, or reason to shoot them and I am interested as we are talking about a semi auto for LSR for the Viking (and probably me!)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#9 Post by strangesam »

My experience is very ammo dependent. Right stuff, 5 in a ragged hole at 25m.

Wrong Ammo, 2" 5 rnd group at 25m (that stuff was really bad)

Excluding the really bad stuff, my mean radius for a 5 rnd group from a rest while ammo testing ranged from 1.9 to 9.3mm
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#10 Post by Les »

strangesam wrote:My experience is very ammo dependent. Right stuff, 5 in a ragged hole at 25m.

Wrong Ammo, 2" 5 rnd group at 25m (that stuff was really bad)

Excluding the really bad stuff, my mean radius for a 5 rnd group from a rest while ammo testing ranged from 1.9 to 9.3mm
That has pretty much been my experience, too. SK Standard Plus and Eley Match seem to be my 10/22's favourite diet. CCI Std are OK, but not great. I haven't really tried anything else.

Ovenpaa: The original trigger is terrible @ +/- 7lbs , which is why a lot of people have fitted the BX trigger unit for a 2 to 3 lb pull weight.