When is a RIF not a RIF....

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

When is a RIF not a RIF....

#1 Post by Adamdavi3s »

All,
Interesting question which I can't quite figure out from reading the legal guidance.

Lets say hypothetically I own a two tone L85 airsoft toy from my younger days. This was legally purchased as two tone directly from a shop and has not been altered. At this point it is not a RIF due to the paintwork.

Let's say that hypothetically I am a bit sadistic so fancy using the shell from that airsoft toy (it being some form of pot metal and not plastic) as a "chassis" to (safely) shoe-horn a Ruger 10/22 (or other firearm) into (seems to be a popular past time with our American friends) , what is its legal status now, the assumption is that its a Section1 on ticket and therefore I can paint it any which way I like? But if the 10/22 came out then the shell would be a RIF and illegal?

I'm thinking along the lines of the HTA 90/22 chassis that I already own for example which is just a shell a 10/22 goes into
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

Re: When is a RIF not a RIF....

#2 Post by poll007 »

This will be one of those " no one can be sure until someone takes it to court" situations.

In my eyes if your using it as a stock on a section 1 firearm its no longer an "imitation" and thus so RIF rules would no longer apply.

Obviously you then couldn't go back to using it with the airsoft gun if you painted it.

That's my 2 cents anyway
Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

#3 Post by Adamdavi3s »

That’s exactly my concern & take on it to be honest.

I think the grey area is when it’s just a shell, technically I guess it’s a RIF? The internals of it don’t matter I.e the fact it’s an empty shell, as regardless of that it could still be “mistaken” for a real firearm, although I guess it wouldn’t have a barrel but not sure if that’s enough to make it clearly not a firearm

Maybe I’ll see if I can get a second handguard and paint it bright orange so I can put that on if and when it’s ever just a shell again
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

I can't see it being any different to fitting a commercially available bodykit to a 10/22.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Whats a RIF ?.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:Whats a RIF ?.
Realistic Imitation Firearm........
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Sorry but I just have to ask the question what prompted the original poster to ask this question. Up to now, I have never heard of RIF is it some kind of legislation is it going to impact on shooting is it another threat I don't know about. Or is it something that I should know about and be doing something about?
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#9 Post by strangesam »

RIF = Realistic Imitation Firearm.

Airsoft guns, toys etc that look like real firearms..

Basic rules, - Airsoft guns, need good reason, granted practically in the UK by being a member of the airsoft sport association (cant remember what its called), lets you buy them in realistic colours.. You need to attend something like 3 airsoft events to get the membership.

You can buy brightly coloured guns, where 50% of the RIF is a bright colour without this number (two tone) without this membership or any good reason.

Other good reasons for realistically painted ones would be things like re-enactment, theatrical..

Airsoft guns are also used for Action Air practical shooting (blowback pistols, which we can actually own).

Personally I have bought a couple of twotone ones since lockdown started to get at least a little practice in my tiny tiny house. (things like holster draws, target switching for practical). However my knowledge of the law is limited, and basically limited to the research I did in April to work out what I could buy to practice with.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Alpha1 wrote:Sorry but I just have to ask the question what prompted the original poster to ask this question. Up to now, I have never heard of RIF is it some kind of legislation is it going to impact on shooting is it another threat I don't know about. Or is it something that I should know about and be doing something about?
The Violent Crime Reduction Act came into force in 2007, defining the Imitation Firearm (IF) and Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF), if I recall correctly. I doubt you would have any need to have heard the term before, to be honest.