.22rf semi auto recommendation

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: .22rf semi auto recommendation

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

signfunnypost

Although you can get a gatling gun made up of 5 10/22's! Even more surprisingly as its manually cranked it would be Section 1 here! Justifying 6 identical guns might be a bit of an issue though... :D
DVC
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#12 Post by Scrumbag »

For something a bit classic, maybe a Browning SA-22. Neat little takedown and real wood and steel piece of loveliness.

I secretly (Or not so sectretly) covet my father's....

Scrummy
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#13 Post by mikygpu »

Although I am a big fan of GSG and Walther, the rifles I WOULD NOT recommend:
GSG-5
WALTHER G22
Although they are great fun to shoot and all, they are also a nightmare to strip, clean and put back. I have done a conversion of a G22 from right to left and it was really hard to put all springs back with only 2 hands. GSG-5 is also great but the amount of screws and pins and stuff to strip them makes them difficult.

The rifles I have shot, stripped, cleaned and I wold recommend are:
1. Remi 522 Speedmaster. Or any Speedmaster. They shoot any ,22: S, L and LR. The firing pin strike is pretty hard so if the round doesn't go bang in a Speedmaster, chances are it won't go in any other, including LBR, LBP or bolt actions. I have loads of old ammo I like to plink at the end of a club night and Speedmaster is shooting it all without many problems.
2. Ruger 10-22 - great little fun, shoots awesome and it is easy-ish to strip and clean. I've only shot decent ammo thought it, like CCI minimag, Winchester X, Geco, Nobel, Eley supersonic, Blazer, R-50. As it is a fairly new gun, I didn't put in any old war crap or similar like I did in Speedmaster, neither I have tried .22L or .22S. With Geco it tend to jam as Geco has too much wax on and their supersonic ammo is at the low limit of supersonic, as opposed to CCI or Blazer which are much faster and louder.
3. Winchester model 190. Similar to Speedmaster, it took anything through without much problem.

If given the option of semi / manual, I have also shot a semi-auto/ manual BA rifle at club. Can't remember the make and model but I can ask the owner. It was semi-auto if the bolt was left up and become single shot if the bolt was pushed down after breach was closed.
Also I had owned and shot a Winchester (model 1890 or 1907?) pump action and a Winchester model 250 under-lever.

I have seen others at club with various AR types that seemed to go fine, but I have not shot any.

Hope this helps.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)