Martini Henry type rimfire identification help please

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Martini Henry type rimfire identification help please

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I could have posted this in a few places, however as it is a rim-fire I will try here.

This is a W.W. Greener barrelled Martini Henry type rifle however I am not totally conversant with the full bore variants so please shout if you know a bit more on the original rifle model

Back to the rifle, it has been modified at some point to be a .22 rifle. The interesting parts are it has a reduced diameter barrel band to suit the replacement barrel and the barrel has been replaced as opposed to sleeved. Another point of interest is the receiver is not stamped 'SMRC' (Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs) The SMRC was formed around 1901 and Greener usually marked conversions with their name and SMRC, therefore this is possibly a pre-1901/2 conversion.

It had been fitted with a BSA #8 rear sight at some point and the sight was later removed, I have one here so I have now fitted it as an interim solution to prove to myself how well it shoots.

So, can anyone identify the original rifle please, the receiver has been scrubbed so there is nothing worthwhile to work with. The internals are numbered and stamped with a variety of marks including a crown over an number 4 and a crown over a number 7.

I have included a picture of the bolt face, only because it shows the conversion from centre fire to rim fire.

Thoughts anyone?
20210211_112419.jpg
20210211_112250.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

Re: Martini Henry type rimfire identification help please

#2 Post by Jorden »

Looks like it started off as a Martini Henry MkII rifle (forend pinned to barrel and large cocking indicator) some were converted by Bonehill to .22
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Martini Henry type rimfire identification help please

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you, I was vaguely leaning towards a MkII however it was worth asking.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal