An early .22 Greener conversion of a Martini Henry rifle

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

An early .22 Greener conversion of a Martini Henry rifle

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

In the pursuance of knowledge of all things related to the Martini action type rimfire rifles I had to get my hands on a Martini Henry conversion at some point and eventually this thing surfaced.
It appears to be a MkII Martini Henry (Remember the film ‘Zulu’?) and would have been originally chambered in .577/450. At some point the rifle was taken out of service and converted to rimfire by W.W. Greener.

This rifle does not have the SMRC stamp on the receiver (Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs) The SMRC is better known as the NSRA these days and existed from around 1901-1902 to the late 40s and it is possible that this conversion was made prior to the formation of the Society.

Being a MkII the original rifle dates from 1876 to 1889 which means the original rifle is 130+ years old, with the conversion probably being 120+ years ago. I cannot confirm this as the receiver has been mostly scrubbed at some point however it does have a Roman II on the right-hand side of the receiver. The butt section does have some faint markings including the Roman II over the numeric 2 plus a separate 3 stamped elsewhere. So most likely a MkII unless it is a MkI converted to MkII which I guess is possible as the lever, trigger guard and block are not numbered to the receiver. Of course, with a 130-year-old rifle, things are sure to get swapped out along the way.

The rear aperture sight is a BSA No 8, so no positive click stops to enjoy. The rifle had been fitted with a No 8 in the past, which was later removed however it has witness marks in the form of two screw holes and compression marks in the wood to identify the type of sight it had worn. I had a spare No 8 here so I fitted it and I think the rifle looks good for it, plus it will enable me to get a better idea of the rifle’s accuracy.

The original rear sight is graduated for 25, 50 and 100 yards on the left-hand side of the sight base for the .22 ammunition.

Interestingly, a rear barrel band is fitted which is not always the case with these rifles and the band is correctly sized to the barrel. It was suggested to me that this rifle was a trainer early in its life and given the lack of SMRC stamps and a decent fitting barrel band this is an interesting idea although I am not convinced.

Legend has it that this rifle was held in the Tower of London at some point in the past, which was recounted to me by the previous owner and apparently it was identified by staff many years ago because of a distinctive mark. I am again unconvinced, however it is a nice thought.

Cosmetically the rifle is well used/battered, however it has developed a lovely patina and the No8 rear sight blends in quite well to give an idea of how it would have looked in better days. The trigger breaks very crisply at around four and a bit pounds. I could improve this however it is as it was, so it would be wrong to change things. More and more I believe in keeping such rifles as they were, after all we are custodians as opposed to owners of such things.

The bore is, erm… 120 years old, so less than perfect however I have shot worse and with some zeroing I would hope for better than 3” groups off elbows at 50 yards with some effort. Better than this will be a bonus and I am really looking forward to getting out with it.

Below are some random images of the rifle, included is an image of the complete rifle with the No 8, I am still adding some oil to the wood as it was very dry, the block face so you can see where it has been plugged as part of the .22 rimfire conversion. The .22 graduations on the rear sight base and the moving parts outside of the rifle so you can see the relationship between the lever and block. Those of you that own a Vickers, or BSA Martini action rifle will instantly recognise this and the later developments of the Peabody concept, refined by Fredrick Von Martini.

So, there you are, yet another ancient rimfire rifle.(SOWR)

…and why am I telling you this? Because you need to know.
20210211_111849.jpg
20210211_112419.jpg
20210213_104821.jpg
20210213_104848.jpg
20210213_104958.jpg
20210213_125453.jpg
20210213_125509.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: An early .22 Greener conversion of a Martini Henry rifle

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Lovely I am so jealous.
walesdave

#3 Post by walesdave »

That looks splendid...I often wonder what 'old' things have seen and been through (not just rifles but anything 'old'). I like the idea it was in the Tower at some point!

Hope you don't think I'm rude for asking, but how much is a rifle like that worth?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dave, they all have some history, sadly we seldom get to know about it. As I know the full 'Tower of London' story I do think it has some credibility.

Regarding value, it came to me minus the rear sight, I stripped and cleaned it, woodwork was wiped with methylated spirits, metalwork with no more than an oiled rag. The moving parts were stripped completely, inspected and put through a couple of cycles in an industrial ultrasonic cleaner in paraffin. I had to resort to a stiff bristled brush for parts of them. Then oil the stock several times, it looks nicer now it has just a very dull sheen. Finally, fit the No8 rear sight with a couple of suitable screws. Finding some 120 year old slotted screws of the right size to match the rest of the rifle was the hardest part!

The barrel had alternating patches of Gun oil and methylated spirits through it until it came clean, then some dry patches and a final oiling.

Anyway value wise, it has cost me under GBP175.00 so far and came through the trade with another gun. You can find a good between the wars Martini actioned target rifle for sub GBP225.00 and they are immense fun to shoot, plus nowhere near as heavy as the post war BSA International so perfectly capable of being shot off-hand unsupported at 50 or 100 yards and off the bench or your elbows with the original dioptre sights as issued.

I reckon to shoot better than 3" groups at 100 yards 10 shot groups on a good day with these things off my elbows.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#5 Post by RDC »

Love it!