No. 8 Ammunition Recommendation

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

No. 8 Ammunition Recommendation

#1 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I'm really lucky to have acquired a number 8 last year but have yet to fire it due to the lockdown (I just need the L81 now and I will have the full 80's cadet experience kukkuk.

The Rifleman website https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.8.html talks about keyholing issues with certain types of ammunition possibly due to the lead and that it was absent with one brand of 'imported match ammunition'. Testing with ICI ammunition is mentioned but does anyone know what the military would have used (some sort of Eley maybe?). I've got some CCI standard and Eley Match to try in standard velocity (I assumed the Eley is SV?) so I'll see how that does to start with.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: No. 8 Ammunition Recommendation

#2 Post by dromia »

Over the years I have put all sorts through my No8 without any bother.

My ammunition of choice however is Eley Match, the No8's accuracy really shiines with this ammunition.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

When we used them the stores issued ammunition made by Eley for the MoD and it was similar to the old standard or club as when the MoD stuff ran out it was replace with the brown box stuff and then the green box and there was no difference in perceived performance.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#4 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Thanks both bumpsign
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.