Rimfire in shotgun and/or .22LR smoothbore?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Rimfire in shotgun and/or .22LR smoothbore?

#1 Post by mikygpu »

I have some .22LR with clear plastic ends filled with lead shots and another crimped at the end but in a box saying birds and rats shots.
As I am fairly new in RFD ( only 2 years), I just started to learn about all the possible guns and calibers made over years.
I thought there must be a smooth bore .22rimfire for those, right? Maybe a hushpower? So I started to search and google didn't came up with more than standard wiki page, and some other articles. But no gun. It looks like it is a Garden gun, but none to be found to buy. I thought I might put it through one of my ruined rifles. I have a semi-auto BSA that needs re-proofing and I thought I bore out the lands and make it smoothbore, although it will still stay S1. Then I thought, why bother, the lands are probably as good as gone anyway, so might as well shoot it as is.
Now, to make is garden gun I need a form of suppression, or sound moderation. Would there be a form of sound mod for a rimfire lead shot? I can't wrap my head around how it would work.
Any ideas?

I have seen recently some dealers / gunsmiths advertising a rimfire shell adaptor for .410 shotgun.
I have 2 questions about that:
1. would it be S1? In 2016 gun law the shell part seem to be exempt.
2. considering the difference in size of barrels, would the shot have any efficiency? I've seen some videos of a guy in America shooting .22 rimfire bullets from a Baikal .410 shotgun, but that applies to single head, not to lead shots.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Rimfire in shotgun and/or .22LR smoothbore?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

They are.22 shot shells and can e fired in a number one garden gun and/or a .22 rim-fire rifle. They are pretty much useless for anything more than making a bit of a noise however there is still a loyal following. they can be moderated and I wrote an article on how I did a low cost sound moderator conversion on a folding .410 quite recently, it will be on the forum and probably my Journal as wel

Hushpower do not go smaller than a .410

The No1 if smooth bore, barrel length >24" not more than 2 shots etc can be held on S2. The No3 garden gun (9mm rim-fire) is a Section 1 which can also be held under a S2 exemption as is the revolving magazine .410
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#3 Post by 1066 »

There's several about - but as Ovenpaa says - next to useless unless it's mice in the barn at close range.

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/garden ... thbore-22/

Winchester mod 61 & 62 and Winchester ranger and many more, all available as .22 smoothbore.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#4 Post by mikygpu »

Ovenpaa wrote:They are.22 shot shells and can e fired in a number one garden gun and/or a .22 rim-fire rifle. They are pretty much useless for anything more than making a bit of a noise however there is still a loyal following. they can be moderated and I wrote an article on how I did a low cost sound moderator conversion on a folding .410 quite recently, it will be on the forum and probably my Journal as wel

The No1 if smooth bore, barrel length >24" not more than 2 shots etc can be held on S2. The No3 garden gun (9mm rim-fire) is a Section 1 which can also be held under a S2 exemption as is the revolving magazine .410
Can you point me to where is your article about that mod?
The forum is just huge and filled with articles. Search doesn't help much, unless I know what words to search for.
thankssign
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

mikygpu wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:They are.22 shot shells and can e fired in a number one garden gun and/or a .22 rim-fire rifle. They are pretty much useless for anything more than making a bit of a noise however there is still a loyal following. they can be moderated and I wrote an article on how I did a low cost sound moderator conversion on a folding .410 quite recently, it will be on the forum and probably my Journal as wel

Can you point me to where is your article about that mod?
The forum is just huge and filled with articles. Search doesn't help much, unless I know what words to search for.
thankssign
Its in Davids blog the Shooting Shed.https://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/category/shooting/
mikygpu

#6 Post by mikygpu »

Ovenpaa
Great read. Probably I would be able to do it myself, however ...
Where would I find an Air Arms cylinder? Can anything else be used instead of that?
I've understood the concept and mesh and everything. How many rolls did you do with the mesh? Does it make any difference if you roll more than one?
And to be able to shoot those rimfire shot shells, I think I'd probably have to measure the shot so the holes be smaller. Otherwise shots will end up in mod and it will start to rattle?
Did you send it to proof?
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Air Arms cylinder - Deben stock them or use one taken off an old rifle. As they are pressure vessels they need to be inspected periodically and most manufacturers recommend swapping them out at 7-10 years. personally, the smell is usually enough for me to scrap them before I even check the cylinder date.

The key thing about such sound moderators is they are not particularly effective with supersonic loads so you need something subsonic to work with and the 22 shot shells are usually around 1000 fps so you are OK in that respect. In all other ways the 22 shot shell is useless, I remember someone having one explode when he was dismantling wrapped in a cloth in a vice, it took him a second or two to even realise what had happened.

How many rolls? I cannot recall. I simply used the barrel as a mandrel and stopped when it would no longer fit into the tube. At that point it unravelled itself so I would it up tightly, stuffed it into the tube and attached the tube to the gun. fitted the cap and tested it.

Shot will not end up in the moderator if you do build it properly. As it is my gun with a sound moderator designed, built and fitted by myself it does not need to go to proof. When I no longer feel the need to keep it I will destroy it.

I will say this again, I cannot think of any good reason to moderate a .22 shot gun, OK maybe loft Pigeons but a .22 or .25 FAC rated air rifle would be a lot easier and cheaper to use and feed. Shot shells are around GBP15.00/50, a tin of .22 pellets costs less for 10x as many. I built my .410 for one specific reason and I suspect I will move to a pistol instead later this year.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal