22RF AR15/ M4 semiautomatic advice

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

22RF AR15/ M4 semiautomatic advice

#1 Post by steve853 »

Hi all
I’m looking at getting some form of M4/ AR15 lookalike in 22RF, just wondering if anyone has any advice?

I have had a Tippmann Airsoft gun which was useless
I have had a Ruger 10/22 which was brilliant, and one which was awful

So looking at Tippmann, Kriss, S&W, that sort of thing. Anyone got any horror stories?
England Prevails
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: 22RF AR15/ M4 semiautomatic advice

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

There are a number of offerings and most people have their own personal favourite. You'll mostly get people saying you should get what they have.

A few observations from myself without trying to sway you one way or another.

S&W 15/22 are great guns, and competition proven for practical minirifle - however Repeatable accuracy is not great, that's not to say that it's innaccurate, its perfectly capable of hitting alphas at 100m, however the polymer upper and lower can flex causing stray rounds. This is not something as observable in a metal counterpart.

There are multiple metal counterparts available and many of them are perfectly good, it's pretty much down to personal preference. So try some out for yourself, look them over, decide what you want to do with the rifle, whether its practical or accuracy, spec something accordingly. Prioritise barrel offerings that suit your intended style of shooting from outset - for example, a match chamber will help with small groups, but may be counter intuitive if you need to shoot lots of rounds quickly and reliably, you can always shorten a barrel, but not make one longer, so look at what length you want that relates to the style of shooting you want to do. Bentz Chambers are a good compromise between cycling reliability and accuracy for an all-rounder, if that's your thing, see what your intended rifle chamber is.

Weight - look at how much the rifle weighs, if you want to shoot practical, something lightweight and manoeuvrable is much preferred to something long and heavy, which may be better suited to accuracy shooting at longer range, or precision competitions at shorter range. This short range, quick speed and (relatively) low accuracy requirement is why the S&W has been top dog on mini rifle circuit for a number of years. being polymer, it's lightweight making it easier to manipulate.

Ultimately, if your heart pulls you one way or another, go with it - you'll only regret it if you don't. You can always sell it and buy something else if you don't get on with it.

Have fun and don't get swept up too much in the AR builder rivalry that's rife in the UK. cheers
steve853

#3 Post by steve853 »

Good advice, thanks.
I’m looking for a plinking gun and a night shooting rabbit gun for lamping and NV. Easier to correct a miss at night when you don’t have to lose the sight picture to cycle the bolt

I guess I just want someone to say ‘don’t buy a $€€>%##}, they’re s#oit€’
England Prevails
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

steve853 wrote:I guess I just want someone to say ‘don’t buy a $€€>%##}, they’re s#oit€’
Choose a gun, someone will say it...!

lol
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#5 Post by Airbrush »

How much do you want to spend is the first question that needs answering?
steve853

#6 Post by steve853 »

Airbrush wrote:How much do you want to spend is the first question that needs answering?
Ah there’s the question. I figure below £500 is too cheap, above £1000 is a bit steep for a 22RF, so somewhere in the region of £700-800. Also magazine availability and price will be important,
England Prevails
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#7 Post by waterford103 »

I bought a SGC / CZv22 secondhand from someone on here years ago , it's accurat , reliable but won't shoot subsonic ammo , love RWS hi velocity . I shoot targets and rabbits with it , it's successful at both.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
steve853

#8 Post by steve853 »

TattooedGun wrote:
steve853 wrote:I guess I just want someone to say ‘don’t buy a $€€>%##}, they’re s#oit€’
Choose a gun, someone will say it...!

lol

Ha! I guess I should have thought of that!
England Prevails
steve853

#9 Post by steve853 »

waterford103 wrote:I bought a SGC / CZv22 secondhand from someone on here years ago , it's accurat , reliable but won't shoot subsonic ammo , love RWS hi velocity . I shoot targets and rabbits with it , it's successful at both.
That’s also a good point, probably best to get one that will cycle subsonic CCIs...
England Prevails
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

I'm going in on a limb here. Very few semis will cycle reliably, sub sonic ammunition. So one will have one that will. My 10/22 will, but it required work. An AR clone would not be a good candidate.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!