Vostok CM-2 firing pin

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Vostok CM-2 firing pin

#1 Post by Mattnall »

I'm looking for a firing pin for an Izhmash CM-2 which I think is the same as the Vostok target rifle of the same designation.
Does anyone have a spare or even a pattern to fabricate one from?
Many thanks.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Vostok CM-2 firing pin

#2 Post by 1066 »

I do have a spares set for the CM2 somewhere, all in it's original plastic box - It contains the spare sight apertures and odd springs etc. and I have a feeling there might be a firing pin in there too. However, I've not seen it for around 25 years so may take some digging out.

I'd swap it for a .357 Winchester 94AE carrier/lifter. :D :D
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com

#3 Post by 1066 »

Well - Found that easier than I expected. If you have basic machining facilities I think it would be quite easy to make one. I'd be quite happy to send it down to you so you can make a copy but would be reluctant to sell it an break up the set.

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Well found.
Sorry, no joy on the lifter, I don't have one lying around unfortunately.
Thanks for the offer of sending so I can make one, I might take you up on it. The one I have been lead to believe is required is not the one pictured, it is about 1" long and has a flat section to accommodate the retaining pin, I'm waiting a picture/drawing with dimensions.
I didn't realise there'd be different designs for them or are these different rifles altogether?

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.

#5 Post by 1066 »

There are slightly different versions I believe - This one had a side mounted rear sight, other have a top mounted sight. Either way I think you will be able to make one without too much trouble, especially if you have one to copy, they are very basic.

I believe the grooves down the side of this pin are just to let air past to avoid slowing the pin so not critical.

This is my old CM-2. It served well as a prone rifle for a good few years then spent another few years gather dust before I chopped and threaded the barrel, added a scope rail and used it as a long range rabbit sniper.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Thanks for that. The info is for a friend abroad who is trying to get one back into running order. I have just seen one at the club and removed the pin, it is very different to the one you show above so I'll try to get confirmation which one is required before I go ahead and measure or make one.
This is the one form the member's rifle (it's only just over an inch long, your one looks a bit longer):

#7 Post by 1066 »

Ahh yes, totally different - but easy to make. Could make it out of a screwdriver shank or a bit of silver steel.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall

#8 Post by Mattnall »

It was mentioned as an Ishmash CM2 so that could have a bearing on which one (or totally different one) it is.

I await the confirmation.
Thanks for all your help.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Mattnall wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:08 am It was mentioned as an Ishmash CM2 so that could have a bearing on which one (or totally different one) it is.

I await the confirmation.
Thanks for all your help.
Vostok rifles, including the CM-2, were produced at the Izhevsk Arsenal/Izhmash (Now known as JSC Kalashnikov Concern)....... the TOZ series of rifles were produced at The Tula Arms Plant ( Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod).

I have a lovely 1969 TOZ 8-M that was a Russian Cadet rifle from a DOOSAF facility in St Petersburg.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!