Binary triggers....

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

walesdave

Binary triggers....

#1 Post by walesdave »

Hi

On one of the Tippmann M4-22 FB pages a chap from the USA just posted photos of his M4-22rf with a binary trigger installed. It prompted a discussion about which US states allow these and which have banned them.

FYI: a binary trigger fires a shot when pulled, and a shot when released (two for a single trigger 'cycle').

Initially I thought this might be UK legal as I wrongly believed the full-auto definition was along the lines of 'a single pull of the trigger firing more than one shot'....but I had to eat some humble pie on the FB page after looking at the 1968 Act and found it prohibits any firearm where 'two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger'.

Now I'm sure I remember burst fire used to be legal but going by the 1968 definition they couldn't have been - am I going kukkuk
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Binary triggers....

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

but it would make forced reset triggers a ok
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
The Event

#3 Post by The Event »

I think the definition of full auto was changed by the '88 Amendment Act. Unfortunately the versions of the 1968 Act shown on the legislation.gov site don't go back that far.
walesdave

#4 Post by walesdave »

The Event wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:21 pm I think the definition of full auto was changed by the '88 Amendment Act. Unfortunately the versions of the 1968 Act shown on the legislation.gov site don't go back that far.
Thank you many times! I'm not going kukkuk

Found an option (What Version) on the left of the page. Original version as at the original enactment date - in this case 1968: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... /5/enacted

Sec 5 definition of full -auto: "any firearm which is so designed or adapted that, if pressure is applied to the trigger, missiles continue to be discharged until pressure is removed from the trigger or the magazine containing the missiles is empty"

So under the original definition a binary trigger would be ok - as was burst fire!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Likely why they changed it!
DVC