CZ...

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

CZ...

#1 Post by Sim G »

I like rimfire shooting. I like to plink with it, I like to really stretch it, I use it for vermin and just love to "mag dump" it! I've always had a 10/22 in the cabinet of one description or another. I've even got a couple of 125 year old rimfires, but only had a bolt gun the last couple of years.

I bought a Ruger American Target and seriously shot very, very well. Although the laminate stock looked lovely, it justvdidnt feel right. I've had laminate stocks on Rugers before and they were great. Not this one.

In my local shop, they had a CZ455 "Mini Sniper". The ubiquitous 455 with a heavy fluted barrel, a 25 MOA rail and a stock that just feels fantastic prone or off a bench. I traded the Ruger and went home with the CZ.

Never fancied a rimfire CZ before. I know they are cracking rifles and I've owned CZ pistols and full bore rifles in the past and have a 527 Varmint currently, but it just seemed everyone had one! Well, I'm a convert... 10 rounds of Eley Match at 25 yards, clamped into a Sight-in-Rest, one hole, edge to edge, .33 of an inch!! No way! Second group, .39, third group, .35!

Sometimes, the stars are all aligned and I have a batch of ammo that suits my rifle perfectly. I know a different batch or the temp on the range, or the humidity, or how dirty it is, or whatever other variable will come along and kick all of this squarely in the knackers, but not today. Today was a perfect 40 minutes or shooting.

Tomorrow I won't be able to hit myself on the ar$e with a banjo!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: CZ...

#2 Post by Les »

I've have a CZ 452FS, a 453 Premium, a 455 Varmint and a 457 MTR. The 455 has been a 'keeper'. It's very accurate, very simple, and cheap to run. I love my .22's - they're all I own these days. I can go to the range and shoot 200-300 rounds if I want to without breaking the bank. My Anschutz Match 54's handle the really accurate stuff, and the CZ and Ruger 10/22 handle the fun side of things.

When I really want to put a smile on my face, the FN pump-action 'Trombone' comes along with me. It has got to be the best little rifle ever made! goodjob
daryldiane
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by daryldiane »

I have a BRNO Mod 4 cadet rifle, 1970s which is amazingly accurate. I shoot it off the bench at 25yards holds the ten ring and often the X.
Interesting sight options, open, aperture and scope.
walesdave

#4 Post by walesdave »

No issues with the CZ in any way - I shot a borrowed one a couple of years ago and REALLY liked it, but when I recently bought my first bolt action I went for a Ruger Precision Rimfire....and absolutely love it.
It can shoot a lot better than I can but even with my lack of ability I'm very happy with the groups at 50m and have no problem with 3 inch gongs at 100m. I'm going to try at 200m but haven't had a chance yet.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by 1066 »

Talking .22lr and fun - tomorrow will be the last time I will shoot my faithful old Voere semi-auto. I bought it second hand in the '70's for £45, it's served me well for many thousands of rounds, loads of rabbits, almost 100% reliable, very accurate. It's also served me well in gallery competition but I found a Buck mark carbine looking for a new home so decided to pension the Voere off, so tomorrow I go to my local club in the morning and shoot two rounds of cards, then on up to the dealers to offload the Voere and get the paperwork in to hopefully pick up the Buck mark before too long.

As for CZ's - yes, excellent value, probably the most accuracy/cost ratio you could get - I've had a 252 in the past that shot very well and currently have a 527 .223 also shoots well.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

I bought a cheap 452 a couple of months ago to build my own BR stock from. Shot it once before I stripped it down to model it and it was a dream to shoot. It doesn't half go through rounds though compared to my single shot prone rifle!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

We had a little 452 for Tobi and it was awesome, I quite fanct one of the new 457
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

You just can't go wrong with a CZ. I bought a 452 Lux unused, about 8 years ago for the pricely sum of £180 and it is a great shooter! I also have a 527 varmint which again, is a great shooter. I love the simplicity of CZ rifles, they don't need anything fancy to shoot well, they're good to go out of the box.

My only caveat, is that the comb as my rifles are quite low, so even if you scope mount with low rings, you need a cheek riser of sorts.

You have any pictures of the "mini sniper", Sim?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Not a very good pic, in fortunately.

I put a Burris 4-14x42 Mtac, 30mm tube in Leupold rings. Also tried it with a U.K. Custom Whisper moderator. The only thing I don’t like is the crappy plastic, 10 rounds mags. As ugly as sin, and feels cheap. Looking for for steel five round versions.

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

Very nice! I bet it is literally whisper quiet with the mod on! The comb on your stock is nice and high, so I bet you don't have an issue with cheek weld like I do with my rifles.

I have some metal and plastic mags for my 452. I know what you mean, the metal ones definitely feel a lot more robust than the plastic ones, but I'm not sure that they make metal magazines which hold 10 rounds.