The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 am 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm
Posts: 1608
kennyc wrote:
After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D



This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.

_________________
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2020
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 7533
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:58 pm
Posts: 997
Location: Berks
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley
1066 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D



This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.


Yep, ours too, especially so over the last 2-3 years.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:50 pm
Posts: 1707
Location: Reading
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club
Alpha1 wrote:
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.

Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.
I was at 900 last tuesday for an hour and the only person there.
Bisley is a busy place and at weekends in high season can be running at capacity.
Must be a headache trying to organise range space.
If you need a marker best to hire your own. There are some good ones around who will be beneficial to your day.
My club has a booking every month and I cant remember any being cancelled other than a change of distance.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 1825

mag41uk wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.

Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.

Exactly. I booked Monday to shoot Tuesday and got what I wanted. It's the same almost every time I book, which is once or twice a week. Before COVID I just used to turn-up and ask. But to get something at a peak weekend at short notice, when the entire season has been compressed by COVID and the already very very busy schedule has been squeezed into less time, with club shoots, matches and large meetings still being re-arranged to fit - many of them looking for dates after accomodation has opened - that would be asking a lot (but probably still possible if the requirements are straightforward and there's some flexibility).

I can understand it being a bit confusing, just as booking an MOD range would be confusing to me. If the OP had indicated the type of thing he wanted (e.g. suitable distances, or types of firearm to be used, and rough dates & whether weekday or weekend) then the advice could be simpler and more specific. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be happy to help.



Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:02 pm
Posts: 33
Location: London
Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club
I've had no issues booking weekend range time at Bisley recently - on Century and Short Siberia Ranges. Bookings have been accepted quite promptly. We self mark the targets as the hired markers can sometimes be frustrating.

As mentioned above, if there are competitions running, or they aren't doing the distance(s) you're after, it can be trickier to book what you want. Best to check this page before you book: https://nra.org.uk/nra-bisley/ranges/la ... ailablity/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2020
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 7533
Thanks for your help guys. We have booked up for some days in June.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:58 pm
Posts: 997
Location: Berks
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley
Our club has just had a Sunday am 300yrd shoot booked for September cancelled... 8-)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:16 pm 
Offline
Past Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 am
Posts: 2381
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley
Did they say why?

Pete

_________________
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group