The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 am 
Site Supporter Since 2015

kennyc wrote:
After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D

This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2020

Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm 

Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley
1066 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D

This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.

Yep, ours too, especially so over the last 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:16 pm 

Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club
Alpha1 wrote:

Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.
I was at 900 last tuesday for an hour and the only person there.
Bisley is a busy place and at weekends in high season can be running at capacity.
Must be a headache trying to organise range space.
If you need a marker best to hire your own. There are some good ones around who will be beneficial to your day.
My club has a booking every month and I cant remember any being cancelled other than a change of distance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:16 am 

mag41uk wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:

Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.

Exactly. I booked Monday to shoot Tuesday and got what I wanted. It's the same almost every time I book, which is once or twice a week. Before COVID I just used to turn-up and ask. But to get something at a peak weekend at short notice, when the entire season has been compressed by COVID and the already very very busy schedule has been squeezed into less time, with club shoots, matches and large meetings still being re-arranged to fit - many of them looking for dates after accomodation has opened - that would be asking a lot (but probably still possible if the requirements are straightforward and there's some flexibility).

I can understand it being a bit confusing, just as booking an MOD range would be confusing to me. If the OP had indicated the type of thing he wanted (e.g. suitable distances, or types of firearm to be used, and rough dates & whether weekday or weekend) then the advice could be simpler and more specific. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be happy to help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:38 pm 

Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club
I've had no issues booking weekend range time at Bisley recently - on Century and Short Siberia Ranges. Bookings have been accepted quite promptly. We self mark the targets as the hired markers can sometimes be frustrating.

As mentioned above, if there are competitions running, or they aren't doing the distance(s) you're after, it can be trickier to book what you want. Best to check this page before you book: https://nra.org.uk/nra-bisley/ranges/la ... ailablity/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2020

Thanks for your help guys. We have booked up for some days in June.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 pm 

Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley
Our club has just had a Sunday am 300yrd shoot booked for September cancelled... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:16 pm 
Past Supporter

Home club or Range: NRA Bisley
Did they say why?

Pete