NRA of the UK Facebook

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Maggot

Re: NRA of the UK Facebook

#11 Post by Maggot »

karen wrote:Where were the breech flags? tongueout
In the same place as the rest of the trade stands probably.......

(sorry, there is no smiley or offensive enough to fit here so use your imagination tesnews )

And while I approve of them 100%, they are still no substitute for correct drills...which were shown in the presenting of said firearms ;)
Dougan

#12 Post by Dougan »

ovenpaa wrote:Dougan, the M66 LTT (Light Tube Target) was designed specifically for TR as was the original M41 action in the M75 chassis. They are not primarily F/TR or McQueen rifles however the LTT fits into the F/TR slot very nicely with the addition of a 'scope and our rear bag rider and the LTR (Light Tube Repeater) will work very nicely within the F/TR discipline and McQueen.

Weight is an interesting point, I spent a lot of time talking to TR shooters over the weekend and got some interesting feedback. They feedback seemed to fall into three categories.

Prefer the weight to be around 5,0 to 5-5kgs - Younger shooters, often male.
Prefer the weight to be 6,0 to 6,5kgs - More mature shooters.
As long as it was in weight they were not fussed - usually older shooters however some of the young ladies felt the same way. Interestingly some of the top team shooters were not fussed as someone looked after such things so as long the rifle was legal they were happy.
Barrel length can give a distinct advantage in TR; for the extra distance between the sights as much as anything else...last year's winner used a rifle with a 36" (!) barrel...

...to keep it under 6.5 kg, it has to be a light chassis (can't just stick a 36" barrel on a normal wooden stock)...basically it's all barrel, but if you can handle the balance of such a such a rifle, why not...

Personally I like you rifles for their versatility - As you know I like a bit of wood (was considering donating a kidney for your S&L...), but theoretically; I could cover TR, F/TR and McQueen (don't have a problem with single shot for McQueens) with one chassis, a good length .308 barrel and a shorter 6.5 barrel tongueout
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dependant on profile you can hang quite a length of barrel on the chassis however sourcing a barrel blank that will give you a usable 36" does reduce your options somewhat. I am looking forward to being asked to build a really light version.

One of the sources of interest over the weekend was the ease of swapping from a medium to long distance rifle so negating the need for a second rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal