NRA Membership Process

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NRA Membership Process

#31 Post by dromia »

You will be supporting predominantly Bisley shooting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

#32 Post by RDC »

alexham wrote: However, I would like to emphasize that unless you are going to shoot at Bisley often and hire targets in your own name, membership of NRA will bring you no benefits other than insurance, which you already have with BASC.
That is very obvious to us members in the North. However, I joined because I got sick of hearing "Why should the NRA do anything for those up North who aren't members?" and other such comments. It's a bit of a catch 22 though, isn't it?

Hopefully the CSR weekend will be a success at Altcar and the NRA will engage more with other ranges up North.

Is it too much to ask for NRA Northern leagues?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

The problem is the guys up North have been members for ever and are still waiting for the NRA to do something outside of Bisley.
In the mean time the Guys up North do what ever they can to continue shooting. In my case mostly at 25 yards out doors. Because that's all that is available.
Christel
Site Admin

#34 Post by Christel »

HALODIN wrote:BASC insurance doesn't cover me for damage to equipment if I remember correctly, there were other subtle differences where having both BASC and NRA insurance were of benefit. It's worth doing because it doesn't cost a lot and if nothing else, I'm supporting British shooting. Besides that I do get to shoot there occasionally.
alexham wrote:However, I would like to emphasize that unless you are going to shoot at Bisley often and hire targets in your own name, membership of NRA will bring you no benefits other than insurance, which you already have with BASC.
Both NRA and BASC cover your equipment...the GKA does not. However always worth asking to be absolutely clear what you are covered for.
Also worth checking your house insurance.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#35 Post by hitchphil »

not strictly on topic but what can NRA do up north (other than the insurance, aqueduct, sanitation, roads.............) or even the members up north do..........

Any member & member of an affiliated club can shoot on any suitable range & submit scores to the NRA 100 competition. (4&10 Prone Standing Kneeling, iron sights @200yds). Same for the county Astor. (2&7 @ 300, 500 & 600)

There is even something mentioned in the soon to be firearm free state of Scotland in the regional ranges report.

http://www.uploadlibrary.com/NationalRi ... m_content=

Nothing to stop regional clubs collaborating to hold local CSR / TR / Historic etc meeting either. But waiting for NRA to organise & do things up north will take a lot longer.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#36 Post by Mattnall »

HALODIN wrote:I'm already an FAC holder and a member of an NRA affiliated club. I'm not suggesting anyone is given membership who is "unseen or unvetted," that would be ridiculous. My only point is I can apply by post and cheque, which is such a pain in the arse, I'm still not a member 6 months on. They're missing out on my money and support and I doubt I'm the only one... Why can't they modernise? I joined BASC for insurance and to support the shooting fraternity in about 10 minutes online and I'll continue to do so, because it's easy. I would like to join the NRA but I won't do it until I'm next down there as they couldn't be bothered to turn up to the shooting show and their application process is as technologically advanced as the 1920's.
Not sure what the problem is with your membership application, have you tried ringing the membership department to find out?

My wife joined about 10 days before Christmas (sent forms and paid by card over the phone) and the membership card arrived before Christmas day, and both my sons' applications were sent by post on the 14th Feb 2016 and their membership cards arrived Thursday (25th Feb, less than 2 weeks!).

All three are FAC holders and have shot competitions at Bisley in the past, all are NRA affiliated club members and SCC holders as well, and the boys do qualify for free membership (under 21) but this sounds like a similar circumstance to your application so I guess there must be a reason for the delay.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#37 Post by mag41uk »

Contact Nick Halford at the NRA.
You will find him in the drop down list of employees.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#38 Post by Maggot »

Countryman wrote:Sorry if I didn't clearly direct my previous question.

RCO accreditation does not require you to be a member of the NRA. There is a strange anomaly around the RCO card that we discussed when I did my Club Instructors ticket that you can be an NRA RCO without being in the NRA! I did my RCO regionally and half the guys on the course are not members.

Joining the NRA is a whole lot easier and cheaper if you are trained in an affiliated club in my experience.
Yea, I would not disagree with that. I think if I had needed to go through the whole probationary system I would not have bothered.

If you think about it, if you had to be an NRA member to be an RCO, there would not be much shooting going on on MOD ranges as this is where the RCOs course is a real requirement, so all those affilliated clubs that dont shoot at Bisley would not get far (which oddly is an MOD range.... kukkuk ).
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#39 Post by HALODIN »

The only problem is it's a faff to apply, I don't see why you can't do it online and as a result I'm still not a member, despite wanting to join...
Mattnall wrote:Not sure what the problem is with your membership application, have you tried ringing the membership department to find out?

My wife joined about 10 days before Christmas (sent forms and paid by card over the phone) and the membership card arrived before Christmas day, and both my sons' applications were sent by post on the 14th Feb 2016 and their membership cards arrived Thursday (25th Feb, less than 2 weeks!).

All three are FAC holders and have shot competitions at Bisley in the past, all are NRA affiliated club members and SCC holders as well, and the boys do qualify for free membership (under 21) but this sounds like a similar circumstance to your application so I guess there must be a reason for the delay.