NRA Competence Certification

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
alexham

NRA Competence Certification

#1 Post by alexham »

Hi Guys,
I have just received a reminder that my Competence Certificate expires in December and with the notice came a form for renewal. I see that if "Iron Sighted" and/or "Telescopic" certification is applied for, one has to specify the range over which it will apply. Three choices are offered. 100/200yds; 300/600yds and 900/1000yds!!! My existing certificate is for Iron Sighted rifle at all distances, so is this a new requirement by the military or is NRA "inventing" more restrictions!?
Best,
Alex
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: NRA Competence Certification

#2 Post by Mattnall »

What did they say when you asked them?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
alexham

#3 Post by alexham »

Mattnall wrote:What did they say when you asked them?
I have not asked them yet. I wanted to hear if anyone on this forum had some information first.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Can you not just tick all three distances.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#5 Post by Robert303 »

Just ask the NRA then you'll have the whole story and can advise the rest of us.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Whats the difference between an NRA competency card and a safe shooters certificate.?
alexham

#7 Post by alexham »

Alpha1 wrote:Whats the difference between an NRA competency card and a safe shooters certificate.?
I have not heard of such a certificate, so I can only assume that it is a competence certificate by another name. However, it is not a good idea to use terminology that is not recognized, because there is a chance that the NRA would reject it and insist that the holders attend NRA certification session and be issued with a "proper" competence certificate. No problem at all other than £30!!!!

Competence Certificate was introduced by the military and it has the following categories:-

Iron sighted rifle (fullbore)
Telescopic sighted rifle (fullbore)
High Muzzle Energy
Muzzle Loading Rifle
Gallery Rifle (fullbore and smallbore)

The NRA has already "expanded" the list to include shotguns and pistols, which is not only unnecessary but also somewhat ridiculous. The original intention is to grade firearms according to danger of the fall of shot landing outside danger area, hence no category for smallbore prone shooting. What chance of a muzzle loading pistol ball falling outside danger area!!! I am afraid this latest "list" is a precursor to more "training courses" charged at exorbitant rates and held by people who cannot hit a dustbin lid with a shovel! That is pure speculation on my part, of course. Nothing to that effect has been said or heard yet.

I shall investigate what the exact requirements are (99% certain that nothing has changed since the original introduction) and report back.
Best,
Alex
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

alexham wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Whats the difference between an NRA competency card and a safe shooters certificate.?
I have not heard of such a certificate, so I can only assume that it is a competence certificate by another name. However, it is not a good idea to use terminology that is not recognized, because there is a chance that the NRA would reject it and insist that the holders attend NRA certification session and be issued with a "proper" competence certificate. No problem at all other than £30!!!!

Competence Certificate was introduced by the military and it has the following categories:-

Iron sighted rifle (fullbore)
Telescopic sighted rifle (fullbore)
High Muzzle Energy
Muzzle Loading Rifle
Gallery Rifle (fullbore and smallbore)

The NRA has already "expanded" the list to include shotguns and pistols, which is not only unnecessary but also somewhat ridiculous. The original intention is to grade firearms according to danger of the fall of shot landing outside danger area, hence no category for smallbore prone shooting. What chance of a muzzle loading pistol ball falling outside danger area!!! I am afraid this latest "list" is a precursor to more "training courses" charged at exorbitant rates and held by people who cannot hit a dustbin lid with a shovel! That is pure speculation on my part, of course. Nothing to that effect has been said or heard yet.

I shall investigate what the exact requirements are (99% certain that nothing has changed since the original introduction) and report back.
Best,

Alex
Ok I will ask the question again using the correct terminology.
I have in front of me an envelope containing 20 Shooter certification cards sent to me by the NRA to issue to my members.
So whats the difference between an NRA competency card and a Shooter certification card.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I did some searching the criteria for each card is different.
The NRA competency certificate is for individual members of the NRA.
Shooters certification cards are issued to a club when the club is affiliated to the NRA and issued to club members deemed to be competent after suitable training and assessment by the Club chairman. This then enables its members to shoot on MOD ranges.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by IainWR »

My NRA-issued card says "National Rifle Association Shooter Certification Card" along the top.