Hand loaded ammunition declaration

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Hand loaded ammunition declaration

#1 Post by shugie »

I've searched the NRA website, but not been to find out what the requirements are as regards the use of hand loaded ammunition on Bisley ranges, can anyone point me in the right direction for this please?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Hand loaded ammunition declaration

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

email them and ask. Or ring them.
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Are you talking about the m/v and m/e limits, HME etc?
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

shugie wrote:I've searched the NRA website, but not been to find out what the requirements are as regards the use of hand loaded ammunition on Bisley ranges, can anyone point me in the right direction for this please?
Basically, it's allowed. What's the exact question(s)?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

I also don't understand the question. I have been shooting at Bisley since 1978 and, other than ,22LR have never fired anything but hand loads.
Fred
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

IainWR wrote:
shugie wrote:I've searched the NRA website, but not been to find out what the requirements are as regards the use of hand loaded ammunition on Bisley ranges, can anyone point me in the right direction for this please?
Basically, it's allowed. What's the exact question(s)?
One of the clubs I shoot with has a declaration on the range sign in sheet that handloading has been done properly that has to be initialled if you hand load, and I was told it was introduced as a result of something the NRA wanted. But I can't find a reference to this on the NRA website.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

At one time, the MoD became hot and bothered about handloads and said anybody who used them had to be able to produce a declaration on demand that said something on the lines of

This load of [............] cartridge was loaded properly using data from the [.........] handloading manual with a [.........gn] bullet and was expected to produce [........ fps MV ........ft/lb ME]. Then there was a signed declaration that the ammunition was loaded using safe practices and the results were within the MoD gallery range limits of 3,275 fps MV, and some horrendously large ft/lb figure for ME, which I can't recall now but covered most elephant cartridges.

This was years ago, long before the HME regulations came into effect. Most people either didn't know of it or ignored it. I never heard of anybody being asked to produce a declaration. (If a rifle blew up and killed or hurt somebody, I'm sure it would be a different matter though!) Also very few shooters owned or had access to a chronograph at the time, the obvious way of knowing if ammo was within spec.

I wouldn't be surprised if this requirement still exists somewhere in a long forgotten file as these things are rarely rescinded once put in place.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Both of the Civilian Clubs I belong to still use this system.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Also if you are handloading ammunition to be within certain range limits then your insurance will require evidence of how you verify that, our NRA club insurance requires it.

We provided the insurers with our procedure and every member who hand loads has to complete a load record sheet for the loads they use.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/