NSRA

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
SevenSixTwo

Re: NSRA

#11 Post by SevenSixTwo »

dromia wrote:No doubt the NRA vulture will be circling to see what pieces he can strip from the wreckage to the greater glory of Herr Mercer.
Very yes. One of the most egotistical people I've ever had the misfortune to meet.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

I have never understood the NSRA. They seem to have two intersts: small clubs with indoor ranges who shoot at 25 yards and the international level comps, such as the Olympics. They seem not to be aware of what the majority of club shooters want and the type and use of .22 rifles which are at the growth end of the sport. As a result, the NRA now runs more .22 competitions than the NSRA does. My own club uses very large quantities of .22 ammunition, much of it in competitions, none of it in NSRA comps.
A word about the "NRA vulture": as you drive into Bisley Camp, on your left hand side is a large, derelict wooden building: Hut 103. This is NSRA property, purchased many years ago to provide an accomodation block. When purchased, it was structurally sound but needed a lot of work to bring it up to a good specification. The NSRA has totally neglected it and it may now be beyond restoration. It is a disgrace to the site and should be demolished. When the "NRA Vulture" took over, he saw Hut 103 as an ideal reception centre and offered to buy it back at a fair price. The cash strapped NSRA refused, believing that somehow, someday the necessary money would arrive.
They have no business sense and no interest in the majority of small bore shooters. The sooner they are taken over by the NRA the better.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

FredB wrote:The sooner they are taken over by the NRA the better.
Fred
A sideways move at best.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#14 Post by Triffid »

Like Fred says, to me the NSRA is focussed on ISU-type competition, missing the fact that .22 shooting has long moved on from this and instead left with declining numbers of members and participants. Unless it moves with the times and starts offering what shooters want to shoot, then its future will be limited.

Everyone in my clubs has a .22 semi and many have .22 LBP's. This is what they want to shoot, not ISU. But the NSRA offer very little in support of this - only the Light Sporting Rifle competition comes to mind. Even the Scouts are doing this better - their recent National Competition includes man-v-man on knockover targets, Field target shooting on spinners, Target-sprint biathlon competition and Crossbow shooting - all alongside the more traditional target shooting.

Triffid
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#16 Post by Pinguino »

The NSRA have called for an EGM to take place at 10.30 AM on Saturday 14th December @ LRC Bisley Camp. The Board of Management will present a Special Resolution to amend the Memorandum and Articles of the Association of the NSRA
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#17 Post by Triffid »

Pinguino wrote:The NSRA have called for an EGM to take place at 10.30 AM on Saturday 14th December @ LRC Bisley Camp. The Board of Management will present a Special Resolution to amend the Memorandum and Articles of the Association of the NSRA
No doubt the Resolution will propose more weddings, dog shows, roller-hockey and other events at Lord Roberts. To the detriment of people who actually want to shoot there.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by Pete »

Yes, I recall driving 50 miles for a morning's shooting at LRC only to find the place decked out for a wedding, having been told over the phone the day before that "yes, shooting at 50yds is available tomorrow morning"...............not been back since.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#19 Post by hitchphil »

I belive Hut 60 will become an exciting & valuable addition to the camp & the sport.

Hut 103 has asbestos in the cook house part & will cost a lot to remove - i dont think NSRA have control over it anymore as they have secured previous loans against it & its in effect under the control of the trustees of some previous well known shooters & their bequests & they wont agree to sale so releasing the land value. In the meantime it degrades & i hope falls down soon..... its an eyesore!

NSRA is the ngo for 22 target rifle you can hardly blame them for keeping that at its core. The problem with that is as some commentators above have said is thats based on 25yd indoor clubs & how many of them have closed their ranges becuse of predatory council & landlord demands. The other is ISSF in effect manage the olympic 50m dicipline seperatly.

Please ignore the usual uninformed BS about the NRA. Without what the current management have achived Bisley would have closed by now. If NRA took over 'LordBobs' it woud be full of shooters shooting more than 22 prone or 3P rifle, but i recon 3P & NSRA comp would continue. The tax situation of NRA is very diferent to the NSRA & you can blame the local council for raking in £000000's as business rates to squander elsewhere.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

The "uninformed Bullshit" is based on the fact that the NRA and the NSRA are failures as "national" organisations with them having no practical relevance to non Bisley shooters and do practically nothing for the benefit of non Bisley shooters and legal gun owners.

This view is informed by the decline of full bore shooting opportunities outwith Bisley, this "bullshit" is further exacerbated when we here how well Bisley is doing and how that its success will deliver nationally. Well by all accounts Bisley is thriving but nationally we have yet to see any benefit.

There should be far more to the NRA, who claim to be a "national" organisation the clue is in there name, than just Bisley. It is well beyond time for these uninformed NRA bullshitters to look at the organisation in its totality and not just through the vested interest of a Bisley user.

If more NRA members, the majority of which are Bisley shooters, did more to hold the organisation to doing things national and promoting shooting beyond Bisley then it may change into a true national body instead of misrepresenting itself in its name.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/