NRA General Council Elections - Vote for me please

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

NRA General Council Elections - Vote for me please

#1 Post by hitchphil »

Please consider voting for me in the elections to the General Council of the NRA.

Why

I believe Jnr Shooting via schools, cadets, unis & scouts needs more practicable help to be the flourishing route to entry to all disciplines to the sport that it should be. They are our future & we need to invest in them.

Accommodation at Bisley is one of the principle means where NRA justifies the ‘N’ in the acronym. It facilitates participation, especially from those further afield & it generates the social scene that for many is a large part in why you come back year after year for more. I believe accommodation is run for revenues over & above the needs of you the membership to participate.
A focus on the membership & not just the charity. We needed to not only comply with the requirements of a charity but also to canvas & then respect the needs of the membership too. We need both one is nothing without the other.

Better communications with the membership using all platforms & especially via clubs who are the best means to reach the club based memberships.

Normalising relations with our stakeholders. NSRA, the clubs on camp & businesses that support our sport. We have been seen to be at war with too many for too long.

If you might believe like me, that those are key issues for our Association & want that voice to be carried to the leadership, then please consider voting for “Phil”.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: NRA General Council Elections - Vote for me please

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Phil, I am no longer am member of the NRA so unfortunately I cannot vote for you, I can however wish you very good luck and fingers crossed for you getting in.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

Phil, the bit in red concerns me:
hitchphil wrote:
Andy632 wrote:Maybe the NRA could give us a refund on the Affiliation fees???????????????

Oh, look, a pig has just flown past my window!
= Sure - if you want to bankrupt & bring the organisation down?

This is not an NRA Emergency Aid Fund! - its Sport England / GB etc. NRA are just bringing it to the attention of membership & clubs. Personally I think shooting will be a long way down the queue & then there are the standard prejudices anyway to get any benefit, but in theory if you have a range with some costs you might get some help.

NB About 300 Bisley caravan & hut licence fee holders are in effect subbing the NRA the equivalent of £150k because we will get no rebate on that for no use or access, from March to when? end June 3m ~£75k worth, or end Aug ~£150k ish.

Thats about the same as asking every individual Member to increase their subs by £10 to £15 each. If NRA asked for +£10 to £15 from every member to survive & be there in 2020 - will you pay in?

There are a lot of non members in affiliated clubs, the only contribution they make is a share of the £80 affiliation fee & £10 for their safe cert card which doesn't make a contribution over its costs. So far from clubs asking NRA for a rebate? maybe NRA should be asking for a sub for every non NRA member in all its affiliated clubs? as NSRA are looking to do? as many other sporting organisations (Scuba Tennis etc) already do..... but shooting doesn't? - a lot of people get their shooting for very little if any real contribution to the club based side of the sport?

Maybe now is the time to redress that balance?
I've included the full post so context still exists. However I strongly disagree with this. My concern is that a vote for you is a vote for increased fees for members of affiliated clubs, when all it will do is keep Bisley afloat during this time of lost range revenue.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good point, let me have a think about this. We are members of groups/clubs with fees as follows:

£252.00
£85.00
£160.00
£105.00
£600.00
£5.00

On top of these we are BASC members so add £166.00 and on top of this we have our own business insurance which includes cover for us both when shooting.

I am not sure about BASC on a Saturday, however either of could ring any of the others on absolutely any subject right now and receive a pertinent answer. In fact some of them I could probably call at midnight and have people I consider to be friends ready to help. What I get from these clubs is from the people at the clubs, not directly the NRA and I do wonder if the NRA is supporting our clubs as much as the clubs support us.

I am not sure I would want to comment further right now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

I am a member of NRA and NSRA affiliated clubs. At the last AGM of one of the NSRA clubs, the chairman suggested making NSRA membership compulsory for all club members. He was told what he could do with his suggestion.

I'm sure that clubs around the country would receive the same reply to any attempt to make people pay a tariff for an organisation that they don't want to be members of.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

The NSRA (National Association of Small Bores) is following a policy of making the shooters for whom it is supposed to exist, pay for its incompetance. My club is affiliated to both NSRA and NRA. If each individual member was required to join either organisation then the affiliations would cease. I should add that I am a life member of the NRA---my decision and it wasn't forced upon me.
Fred
MistAgain

#7 Post by MistAgain »

If only this was the NRA's mission statement .

Shooting is an amazing sport. Anyone can shoot; whatever their motivation or ability, from all communities and backgrounds. At any age and for a whole lifetime, shooting provides physical, social and mental rewards both on and off the range. 

We want shooting to be open to as many people as possible, across the whole of Britain.

Volunteers, coaches, officials, clubs and venues all play an essential role in the future of our sport; without them, shooting can’t exist.  We’re committed to providing them with the right investment and support, and celebrating their wonderful work.

We want to engage with thousands of shooters so that we can bring them closer to the sport, offering new ways for them to enjoy and get the most out of shooting.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

I'll drink to that...........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

"There are a lot of non members in affiliated clubs, the only contribution they make is a share of the £80 affiliation fee & £10 for their safe cert card which doesn't make a contribution over its costs. So far from clubs asking NRA for a rebate? maybe NRA should be asking for a sub for every non NRA member in all its affiliated clubs? as NSRA are looking to do? as many other sporting organisations (Scuba Tennis etc) already do..... but shooting doesn't? - a lot of people get their shooting for very little if any real contribution to the club based side of the sport?
"

The reality for many of us to be able to get regular monthly access to full bore (MoD)ranges means that membership of one club isn't going to do that. I am a member of three clubs so as to get some semblance of regular fullbore shooting beyond 100 yrds. All the clubs would book monthly shoots but with (in non covid-19 times) poor range accessibility, last minute Landmarc cancellations, weather conditions and other range cancellations which means that there is a knock on effect on range costs, poor or non existent MoD targetry beyond 100yrds I am lucky if I get half a dozen shoots a year over 100 yrds. They are all affiliated to the NRA and if there was an increased NRA levy for non NRA members then people like me would have to pay it over and over again, just as we already have to do with the multiple insurance scam that comes with multiple membership.

I am sorry but you still seem to have the typical Bisley shooting club centric attitude and your only help for regional shooters seems to be cheaper accommodation to shoot at Bisley.

We will no doubt get the safe shooters card benefit argument which was an MoD issue that the NRA dealt with to keep clubs shooting on MoD ranges, however I am sure that the only reason that happened was because Bisley is an MoD range if it wasn't I am sure that the NRA would have hung us regional MoD shooters out to dry.

As a non Bisley regional shooter you are going to have to do much better than that to represent my interests and get my vote. Yes I am still a full nra voting member. Why when I see stuff like this is well beyond me.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

As has been said. As a none Bisley regional shooter and as a Club Secretary you are going to have to do much better than that to represent my interests and get my vote.