Short Siberia 200yd restrictions

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Short Siberia 200yd restrictions

#1 Post by shugie »

I've been told that our club booking on Short Siberia this coming weekend has been moved from 200yds to 100yds, as the 200yd firing point can only now be booked on the last weekend of the month. No idea of the reason, Century Butt 19 will be 300yd minimum at weekends as well, so where can we shoot McQueens now?

Be interesting to learn why these changes have been made at what seems quite short notice, nothing about them on the NRA website.

Been a little too much late notice range changes recently, hope they can themselves sorted sharpish.
Careful now/that sort of thing
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Short Siberia 200yd restrictions

#2 Post by mag41uk »

It was in the recent NRA email news letter to members.
I was surprised to read that demand for 100yds is greater than demand for 200 yards.
I would have thought it to be the other way round.
I have always preferred 200 over 100 certainly with milsurps.
And as you say McQueens.
Not sure about minimum of 300 on century either.
I see the 300 metre hut has been put into more use including McQueens.
That's quite a good challenge!
Puzzling over all!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#3 Post by Maggot »

mag41uk wrote:It was in the recent NRA email news letter to members.
I was surprised to read that demand for 100yds is greater than demand for 200 yards.
I would have thought it to be the other way round.
I have always preferred 200 over 100 certainly with milsurps.
And as you say McQueens.
Not sure about minimum of 300 on century either.
I see the 300 metre hut has been put into more use including McQueens.
That's quite a good challenge!
Puzzling over all!
I believe that the 300 at that end might be something to do with them not wanting to put the electronic target gear in and out every 5 minutes....ONO.

As for 100 over 200.... I dont get that either although you can do most things at 100 you can at 200 with a rep target, and the wind is relative.

It may not blow the bullet about much but it will blow the firer about asmuch at 100 as it will at 2 (If you are kneeling etc).
artiglio

#4 Post by artiglio »

As I understand it, to accomodate two distances there needs to be 8 clear targets as a safety zone, so to accomodate 200 and 300 on century and allow for 600 yard shooting you'd need to allow 16 targets unused. This would increase if there were requests for 400 or 500 yard targets.
Whilst these restrictions may seem a little over the top on quieter weekends, they'll no doubt be needed once the weather improves and range demand increases.
Jamesnixon
Home club or Range: Maidstone

#5 Post by Jamesnixon »

They use the 200 mil rule (11.25') to identify the lane to use for different distances, which will have implications on availability at peak times.
Maggot

#6 Post by Maggot »

artiglio wrote:As I understand it, to accomodate two distances there needs to be 8 clear targets as a safety zone, so to accomodate 200 and 300 on century and allow for 600 yard shooting you'd need to allow 16 targets unused. This would increase if there were requests for 400 or 500 yard targets.
Whilst these restrictions may seem a little over the top on quieter weekends, they'll no doubt be needed once the weather improves and range demand increases.
Thats the one, 8 per 100 yard fall back. You would lose a lot more than 8 back at 600.

They usually manage but things will change when it gets busy.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

The 100yds firing point on Siberia takes up more lanes now and more targets as the demand is greater, and 200 can be accommodated on Century.
To get the extra 100yds targets on Century would reduce the longer distance targets on the range so Siberia's 100yd firing points have been increased for a few extra days of the month.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Mattnall wrote:The 100yds firing point on Siberia takes up more lanes now and more targets as the demand is greater, and 200 can be accommodated on Century.
To get the extra 100yds targets on Century would reduce the longer distance targets on the range so Siberia's 100yd firing points have been increased for a few extra days of the month.
That's probably come about because the police monopolize 100 yards Short Siberia during the week - even when they aren't shooting. This means a lot of people that used to enjoy a relaxed shoot on Short Siberia during the week - convenient for those of us with choppy working hours - are now forced to shoot weekends with everybody else. For years, regardless of the weather, we could shoot Short Siberia 200 yards whenever we had a a spare moment convenient.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Maggot

#9 Post by Maggot »

Dark Skies wrote:
Mattnall wrote:The 100yds firing point on Siberia takes up more lanes now and more targets as the demand is greater, and 200 can be accommodated on Century.
That's probably come about because the police monopolize 100 yards Short Siberia during the week - even when they aren't shooting. This means a lot of people that used to enjoy a relaxed shoot on Short Siberia during the week - convenient for those of us with choppy working hours - are now forced to shoot weekends with everybody else. For years, regardless of the weather, we could shoot Short Siberia 200 yards whenever we had a a spare moment convenient.
Or you could just do what everyone else does and shoot on Century at 100 during the week ;)

Oh sorry....no roof....bless :run:
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Maggot wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:
Or you could just do what everyone else does and shoot on Century at 100 during the week ;)

Oh sorry....no roof....bless :run:
I shoot alone with no markers - having the car park right next to where I'm shooting means I can lock my firearms in my vehicle, walk a short distance to the butts, inspect / replace targets and then retrieve my firearms from the car and continue. This maximizes on my available shooting time.

I live over seventy miles away from Bisley which means I only get to shoot there maybe six or seven times a year - I don't think it's too much to ask that I get to shoot where the hell I like given the expense of membership, traveling, and range time.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."