NRA - No support for young shooters

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: NRA - No support for young shooters

#11 Post by IainWR »

phaedra1106 wrote:Yes, the MOD range age is 14, our youth coordinator was in talks with the NRA and they in turn with the MOD regarding this.

As of July 2019 we were told they were up to version four or their proposals. We have requested a copy of these and indeed any information of any kind multiple times only to be ignored.
Phone me.
01483 797777 ext 154
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#12 Post by phaedra1106 »

Thanks Iain, I'll pass this on to out youth coordinator as I spent a few hours in Hospital yesterday following a car accident (nice way to spend my birthday!)

I'm back home but my brain isn't functioning 100% at the moment by any means (nothing new there some would say!).
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
stottycake
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Tcsc,.gardners guns,

#13 Post by stottycake »

phaedra1106 wrote:Thanks Iain, I'll pass this on to out youth coordinator as I spent a few hours in Hospital yesterday following a car accident (nice way to spend my birthday!)

I'm back home but my brain isn't functioning 100% at the moment by any means (nothing new there some would say!).
Hope your ok mate,
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#14 Post by phaedra1106 »

I'll PM you the details but basically hit by a van coming the other way (40mph) that the driver had jumped out of and it came across the road straight into me!.

Nothing broken or hanging off, some heart issues and a lot of scrapes, a lot of pain and some nice bruises coming up!
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Mdwysc
Home club or Range: Bisley

#15 Post by Mdwysc »

phaedra1106 wrote:Hi, my club first approached the NRA in November 2018 to clarify the minimum age for shooters using MOD ranges.

After a few initial responses from Nic Couldrey we have heard virtually nothing since July 2019.

We have contacted the NRA every month and have not had a reply, our last emails were to Iain Robertson on Jan 3rd 2020 and Andrew Mercer on 26th of May 2020.

This is part of the email sent by my club to Andrew Mercer on May 26th 2020

"After the email below in January, my club held it’s AGM and I had no option but to report back that all the time and effort trying to work with the NRA over a 15 month period had resulted in no outcome and I couldn’t give members an update as communications to the NRA were not being responded to. The 100 potential youth members were stood down and the youth training I was pulling together to enable them to, hopefully, gain Safe Shooter Certification on joining the club, safeguarding policy and operating procedures for youth members, have been shelved for now.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. After a great start with Nic in 2018, I am sure work has gone on in the background but the complete lack of transparency and communication since this was handed over by Nic has led, not only to a loss of potential members to the club, members who are the future of our sport, but also a loss of revenue to the NRA in terms of potential Safe Shooter Certification and membership."

A few hears ago I sought permission from the NRA for my son (then 12) to shoot at Bisley. I spoke to Iain. I wrote a letter giving him my experience and qualifications and also my sons. My son had been shooting with our local club since he was 8. I was given permission but had to give notice to Iain, the range office and range manager each time he was to shoot. Until he was 14 he was restricted to shoot .223 with a 69gr bullet.

It was slick and worked well. He is now 17, is a full member of the NRA (free until he is 25) and shoot regularly. He shot for his county with the cadets and won colours for it.

Iain and the rest of the team were genuinely interested in his shooting career and still ask me now when I am on camp.

You should persevere. It is not a matter that they don’t want young shooters. There are hoops to jump through however it is worth it.
PM me if you want more info
Nerf pistol reloading expert
Super soaker long distance world champion
cap pistol quick draw 56 times world champion
pea shooter 15 yards indoor Homewood Comp 1981 undefeated middleweight title holder
Polchraine

#16 Post by Polchraine »

phaedra1106 wrote:I'll PM you the details but basically hit by a van coming the other way (40mph) that the driver had jumped out of and it came across the road straight into me!.

Nothing broken or hanging off, some heart issues and a lot of scrapes, a lot of pain and some nice bruises coming up!

WTF ! I hope he has been arrested and about to be dealt with in a suitable way.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#17 Post by Thorney »

There is no formal legal minimum age but for the most part 14 is the considered minimum age for most firearms activity, however range do have some leeway should they see fit. We run to 14.