BASC: licence fee increases will be fair

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

BASC: licence fee increases will be fair

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Licence fee rises are likely to be significantly smaller than the hike to £200 proposed by the police, BASC has said.
shot gun certificate

Director of communications Christopher Graffius, who sits on the working group looking into licensing costs, told Shooting Times that BASC was working to ensure that the shooting community was not treated as a source of easy revenue. He vowed to keep fees fair, saying that: “Many of those calling for unrealistic fees do not appreciate that firearms ownership is not a luxury for many people, who use them as tools.”

The review began late last year at the instigation of BASC, after the Home Office proposed fee increases that did not secure the support of all members of the Cabinet. Police argued that the current licensing system costs forces £17million each year and that the current fee of £50 for a five-year certificate did not cover enough of the estimated £200 it cost to process and administer each application.

However, ministers and shooting groups were not satisfied with the accuracy of these figures and the working group, which includes representatives from BASC, the police, the British Shooting Sports Council, the Countryside Alliance, the Home Office and DEFRA, was established in October 2013, tasked with deconstructing the licensing process and providing accurate costings for each element. The new fee system for shotgun and firearms certificates could be in place by early 2015.

Mr Graffius said: “It is crucial to ensure that shooting does not become merely the sport of the rich and remains a sport which everyone can participate in and enjoy.”

He added that, while fees would almost certainly rise for the first time in more than 10 years, BASC had worked closely with the Home Office and the police to ensure a fair price for a fair service.
The aim of the review is to provide accurate information on which to base future fee structures and highlight areas where efficiency can be improved.

The news offers reassurance to shooters after reports in the mainstream media during the Easter period of police and politicians calling for dramatic increases and warnings of dire consequences if fees did not rise.

Warwickshire police and crime commissioner Ron Ball recently called for an increase in West Mercia and Warwickshire, initially going up to £92, then rising to £200, saying: “The prices have not gone up since 2001 and we’re currently only recovering approximately a quarter of the costs of processing shotgun and firearms licences, and that doesn’t seem correct to me.”

Andy Marsh, chief constable of Hampshire police, said that: “There is a likelihood of a significant backlog in grant and renewal without an increase in the costs of a licence. Without the staffing levels constantly to reassess risk, it could lead to an increased threat of harm,” adding that: “We have seen other fees such as drivers’ licences and passports rise on a full cost recovery, which I think is the right thing to do.”

Liberal Democrat Home Office minister Norman Baker, who currently has responsibility for firearms licensing, was quoted in The Guardian as being frustrated by the fact that Prime Minister David Cameron and environment secretary Owen Paterson had reportedly “blocked” moves to increase charges in 2013, saying: “The current position is difficult to justify — why should the police subsidise the issuing of licences for firearms? We are driving greater efficiencies in the way the police handle applications, which will bring the cost of issuing down, but firearms users also need to pay a fair amount, which is not happening at the moment. I hope to be able to reach a sensible outcome in the near future.”
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/basc-l ... fair-36676
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: BASC: licence fee increases will be fair

#2 Post by Demonic69 »

Andy Marsh makes me chuckle, issuing conflicting statements whenever he can. One minute we're not paying the current cost, then this: “There is a likelihood of a significant backlog in grant and renewal without an increase in the costs of a licence. Without the staffing levels constantly to reassess risk, it could lead to an increased threat of harm,”
So which is it Marsh? Are we not paying the current cost or are you trying to justify an increase in staff, funded by the shooting community?

Good news that BASC is getting somewhere, hopefully they're being listened to and are pushing the message of efficiency before a fee increase.
Primer

#3 Post by Primer »

So can we expect to see a marked improvement of the service we get then inline with fee increases, or they saying even at £200 we would still get the same poor service that a lot of us get now as the £200 is what it supposedly cost now?

From what I remember Avon & Somerset cut 9 staff from their firearms licensing team a couple of years ago to cut costs, so surely that must then have put the general public in danger due to the reduced service levels given to all us dangerous shooters.

The Arse and the Elbow don't seem to know what they are doing
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#4 Post by Gaz »

It doesn't cost £196. Marsh is on record (Radio 4, no less) as saying it's nearer £100. The £196 figure was cooked up by ACPO from a few fag-packet guesses, not a serious analysis. Someone actually made an FOI request and posted the result, which blew the £196 myth out of the water - I'll see if I can dig it out.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Andy Marsh, chief constable of Hampshire police, said that: “There is a likelihood of a significant backlog in grant and renewal without an increase in the costs of a licence. Without the staffing levels constantly to reassess risk, it could lead to an increased threat of harm,”
More and more FET's are merging in the name of streamlining and improving customer service however always with a loss of jobs and the FEO's being given even greater responsibilities or areas to cover. This on its own must mean a considerable cost saving and I would like to know how this is being taken into account.

Right now the FET's I speak to are being run ragged trying to keep up with the ever increasing workload and I have nothing but the fullest of support for my local team.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal