Marlin 1894 Trigger Happy

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

monkeyhanger

Re: Marlin 1894 Trigger Happy

#11 Post by monkeyhanger »

the design feature of the two piece firing pin must be inferior to a one piece, that's why I've seen so many broken ones. Been shooting a one piece pin for 20 years without a single malfunction
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

The “malfunction” of the single piece firing pin is that it allows the rifle to fire when not in battery and fully locked up. Replacing a two piece firing pin with a one piece removes a safety mechanism. How on earth can that be regarded as superior?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#13 Post by Gh0st »

GordonBennett wrote:I recently acquired a Marlin 1894c .357. I find the trigger pull very heavy. I have given it a good clean and experimented with reduced power hammer springs but find they cause frequent misfires with factory ammunition. I was wondering if anyone had experience of the Wild West Guns Trigger Happy Kit and does this lighten the trigger significantly on its own?
Any advice on Marlin triggers gratefully received!

helpsign
I literally only change over the wolf spring kit in mine. Put in the new sear and thats it.

As Sim G says dont bother with the 1 piece firing pin it undermines the design. I have two marlin 1894’s one is 22 years old and only on its second firing pin despite a couple of hundred thousand rounds.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

if you want to lighten the hammer, again, federal primers are the way to go. who has the money for factory 357 anyway?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Factory ammo is getting close to being prohibitive for some. Prior to Covid there were a couple who wrapped in because of the cost.

I know it was 25 years ago, but does anyone else remember Howitzer ammo? £11/100 for 9mm and £16/100 for .45acp. Happy Days!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st

#16 Post by Gh0st »

I definitely couldn't afford to shoot if I had to buy factory.

This weekend's comps are going to be just shy of 400 rounds of .44 and 400 rounds of .22.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#17 Post by GordonBennett »

I'm going to fit a Rimfire Magic modified sear and maybe play with hammer springs some more. I'll let you know how that goes.
Gh0st

#18 Post by Gh0st »

Good luck, there is a fine line with playing on these rifles, past a point usually ends up in replacing parts

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#19 Post by GordonBennett »

I was recommended to visit Gunfellas in Swindon. Rich the proprietor polished the existing sear and action and modified the factory spring. Trigger pull is down from 7 1/2 lbs to 4 1/2 lbs. The gun is much nicer to shoot now and still works reliably with factory ammo. I’m very happy!