marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

#51 Post by Sim G »

I would be very surprised if your Winchester had a sintered lifter as it looks like, from the pics, to be a pistol 1992 model. This is when FN took over Winchester and reintroduced proper CNC machined parts back into the action, solid roll pins and controversially, the huge cross bolt safety. Replacing the lifter may have given you peace of mind, but I'm not sure it would have been necessary.

Yeah, OK Dave, pistol calibered Wincheste '94s are the most reliable lever gun in the world....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#52 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G wrote:I would be very surprised if your Winchester had a sintered lifter as it looks like, from the pics, to be a pistol 1992 model. This is when FN took over Winchester and reintroduced proper CNC machined parts back into the action, solid roll pins and controversially, the huge cross bolt safety. Replacing the lifter may have given you peace of mind, but I'm not sure it would have been necessary.

Yeah, OK Dave, pistol calibered Wincheste '94s are the most reliable lever gun in the world....
No my lever gun is the most reliable in the world I can not speak for the rest of them. lollol

You are probaby right about the the shift back to CNC machining the parts on mine are very well made. Except I have all ready broken one lifter on mine so to replace it with a stainless one of quality seemed the sensible thing to do to me. Especially has I intend to keep it forever. shakeshout
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#53 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Marlin all the way for me I have both .44 and .357 and think they're great, I would like to get one of the Marlin 24" cowboys in .44 but never seem to see them about
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#54 Post by Dark Skies »

I have to say my Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 has been completely reliable with no issues regarding the lifter breaking (although I've now bought one as insurance). I did remove the annoying safety and replace it with a saddle ring conversion though. For two reasons - I am a cowboy. Also every time I put the rifle down on the padded bench the safety would engage - hugely annoying when having lined up a shot on a competition target I'd squeeze the trigger and find it had all been for nought..

I bitterly regret having sold my genuine Marlin .38/.357 and my .22 39A though. I should have held onto them.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."