marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

#21 Post by channel12 »

Marlin 1894 and then get the Wild West one piece trigger, the reduced power hammer spring and a one piece firing pin. All the internals fettled and polished, slicker than a greased weasel, it's the way to go. Then replace the iron sights with Wilson firesights what's not to like?
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#22 Post by Mikaveli »

Dougan wrote:
Mikaveli wrote: When did the switch-over happen? My Marlin is second-hand, so I wonder if I've got a 'proper' one or a 'rubbish' one? :)
I did advise a 'pre-Remington one'...and judging by the condition of yours, it is! razz

If you have any problems with the action, you can always have it 'tricked and slicked' ...then dings or not you'll have a reliable and accurate rifle ;)
I checked last night, happily I've got a genuine Marlin. I checked the barrel, it's got the Haven and is "JM" stamped, proof marks indicate it's from 1999.

It's actually cleaned up really well - and now I've oiled the stock where the scrapes were, they're barely noticeable. I didn't get a 100% colour match, but the scraps showed up as a light pine colour before (so were easily spotted due to the rich colour of the stock finish).
John25

#23 Post by John25 »

ttiuwp emrolleyes
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Mikaveli

#24 Post by Mikaveli »

Here's my 'proper' :D Marlin:

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#25 Post by Mike357 »

channel12 wrote:Marlin 1894 and then get the Wild West one piece trigger, the reduced power hammer spring and a one piece firing pin. All the internals fettled and polished, slicker than a greased weasel, it's the way to go. Then replace the iron sights with Wilson firesights what's not to like?

WW trigger kits are getting very expensive. SYSS have stopped doing them because of cost and have developed their own kit which is cheaper.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Sim G »

Mikaveli wrote:I checked last night, happily I've got a genuine Marlin. I checked the barrel, it's got the Haven and is "JM" stamped, proof marks indicate it's from 1999.

From 1973, Marlin have date coded their serial numbers. Take the first two numbers and subtract it from 100. That's the year of manufacture.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mikaveli

#27 Post by Mikaveli »

Using that formula, that makes my gun a '98. One year before the proof, which seems to fit.
Dougan

#28 Post by Dougan »

Mikaveli wrote:
Dougan wrote:
Mikaveli wrote: When did the switch-over happen? My Marlin is second-hand, so I wonder if I've got a 'proper' one or a 'rubbish' one? :)
I did advise a 'pre-Remington one'...and judging by the condition of yours, it is! razz

If you have any problems with the action, you can always have it 'tricked and slicked' ...then dings or not you'll have a reliable and accurate rifle ;)
I checked last night, happily I've got a genuine Marlin. I checked the barrel, it's got the Haven and is "JM" stamped, proof marks indicate it's from 1999.

It's actually cleaned up really well - and now I've oiled the stock where the scrapes were, they're barely noticeable. I didn't get a 100% colour match, but the scraps showed up as a light pine colour before (so were easily spotted due to the rich colour of the stock finish).
Excellent :good:

Take note of what Channel 12 and Mike357 have said - For somewhere between 100 and 150 quid South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies can 'tune' your Marlin...and as said; make it 'slicker than a greased weasel' :grin:
tkd67

#29 Post by tkd67 »

Found a marlin .44 and was all for travelling the hour or so journey to check it out today saturday, but the flippin snow put paid to that **** .
Will try for mon/tue :roll:
Sim G
Past Supporter

#30 Post by Sim G »

Dougan wrote:Take note of what Channel 12 and Mike357 have said - For somewhere between 100 and 150 quid South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies can 'tune' your Marlin...and as said; make it 'slicker than a greased weasel' :grin:

And you can do it yourself with some wet and dry, a Wolfe cowboy action spring kit and an hour at the kitchen table.....! ;)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!