marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

chapps
Home club or Range: Burgess Hill TSC

Re: marlin 1894 or winchester 94a traper

#31 Post by chapps »

I'm in pretty much the same boat re decision on what to buy. Would love a marking but can't find anything decent that is pre Remington, and am trying to decide whether to get a Winchester 94 instead. Problem is I am not very patient in waiting for the right rifle...
Col
Home club or Range: BASC Sevenside range, stalking etc

#32 Post by Col »

well I have had both,and I must say the Winchester was the better,,but
the Marlin was much easier to get parts if there should be a problem.
We are the pilgrims master,We shall go always a little further
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#33 Post by saddler »

Got a Winchester Trapper in 45 Colt a few years ago.
Great gun. No issues at all.

Only recently put it up for sale as I found a take-down model Winchester (same barrel length & still in 45 Colt)

Marlins are ok, but a tad boring....plus they're plagued with their own set of problems (Marlin jam, etc.)
Whatever you go with don't dismiss 45 or 44 as a viable chambering.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#34 Post by GeeRam »

chapps wrote:I'm in pretty much the same boat re decision on what to buy. Would love a marking but can't find anything decent that is pre Remington, and am trying to decide whether to get a Winchester 94 instead. Problem is I am not very patient in waiting for the right rifle...
I'd rather have a Uberti or a Rossi than a Winchester, but I'd rather have the Winchester to a Marlin.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#35 Post by dodgyrog »

GeeRam wrote:
chapps wrote:I'm in pretty much the same boat re decision on what to buy. Would love a marking but can't find anything decent that is pre Remington, and am trying to decide whether to get a Winchester 94 instead. Problem is I am not very patient in waiting for the right rifle...
I'd rather have a Uberti or a Rossi than a Winchester, but I'd rather have the Winchester to a Marlin.
You really have no taste!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
GeeRam

#36 Post by GeeRam »

dodgyrog wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Every Marlin I've ever shot has been s***.....I really don't see why people rave about them.

So if that makes me have no taste, then all well and good with me clapclap

I tried out various Marlin, Winchester, Henry, Rossi, Chiappa and Uberti, and I ended up buying a Uberti as a result.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#37 Post by Lever357 »

dodgyrog wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Tut tut, how can you say that when they look this good and shoot like a dream!!
Attachments
20170106_214352 (1).jpg
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#38 Post by Alpha1 »

Winchester trapper cracking gun.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#39 Post by DaveB »

If you want a pistol-calibre lever action, how about a Rossi M92? Or are those not available in UK? IF you can find a nice early one, before that useless safety on top appeared, they are pretty good. I've had one in .44 Magnum since the early 1990s, and my wife has one in .44-40. They are a bit drifty at first, but so smooth out after a fews evenings sitting in from tot the TV watching westerns and working the action.
GeeRam

#40 Post by GeeRam »

DaveB wrote:If you want a pistol-calibre lever action, how about a Rossi M92? Or are those not available in UK?
Yes, they are available here in the UK. My mate's wife shoots a lovely stainless steel octagonal barrel Rossi in .357