The "I've got a new gun thread"...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
polemass
Home club or Range: NRA Shooting Club Bisley

Re: The "I've got a new gun thread"...

#291 Post by polemass »

AUG is cool but you need your nose to be flat as ex boxer champ to reload in a hurry... ;)
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#292 Post by Geek »

Nathwraith wrote:My Steyr Aug Z I picked up last weekend. Yet to shoot it but love the look, break down is easy too. Very well thought out rifle.
You will need to get a brass catcher, mine pings the brass across the range:) I have the barrel mod, charging handle and trigger tamer on mine (by Low Mill Ranges) - well worth the money.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#293 Post by DaveB »

I do not see, and never have seen, the attraction for the AUG. During my days in the NZ Army I found it awkward. I guess if it's all you ever knew you can come to love it, but I'll take an AR any day.

Interestingly, that was the overwhelming opinion of all the people involved in the evaluation of contenders for the new service rifle.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#294 Post by Blackstuff »

I would've thought grunts would prefer a bullpup as with most of the weight being at the back of the gun it makes them a lot easier to carry/have in the low-ready position for much longer? Maybe when they've had a traditional layout rifle for a while they'll start yearning for a bullpup!
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#295 Post by DaveB »

Blackstuff wrote:I would've thought grunts would prefer a bullpup as with most of the weight being at the back of the gun it makes them a lot easier to carry/have in the low-ready position for much longer? Maybe when they've had a traditional layout rifle for a while they'll start yearning for a bullpup!
Surprised us too. There was a latest-generation AUG in the trial and we thought the young personnel, knowing nothing else their whole service, would be biased toward that one, but it proved not to be the case. We had a really good cross section from all three Services, and they all participated in the evaluation, and the choice was an AR-style platform, the Lewis Machine & Tool CQB16, which they are now calling the MARS-L (Modular Ambidextrous Rifle System - Light) - Actually I think it started out as a "Modular Assault Rifle' but LMT seems to have changed the name somewhere along the line.

army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews469.pdf

- some good propaganda!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#296 Post by Geek »

DaveB wrote:I do not see, and never have seen, the attraction for the AUG. During my days in the NZ Army I found it awkward. I guess if it's all you ever knew you can come to love it, but I'll take an AR any day.

Interestingly, that was the overwhelming opinion of all the people involved in the evaluation of contenders for the new service rifle.
I purchased mine based on cost. It is used to plink on the range, therefore I didn't want to spend £2k+ on a LanTac, Bradley Arms etc.

Good fun and accurate enough for me, if I competed in CSR I would want a purpose built LanTac, Bradley Arms etc.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#297 Post by Sandgroper »

DaveB wrote:I do not see, and never have seen, the attraction for the AUG. During my days in the NZ Army I found it awkward. I guess if it's all you ever knew you can come to love it, but I'll take an AR any day.

Carried one in the early/mid nineties and liked it although I preferred the L2A1 kukkuk I carried on basic - possibly because I had one that actually worked and it meant I didn't have to carry the radio! It was, however, much better than the M-16's the Australian Army dumped on us - all Vietnam era and unable to stabilise the SS109 round. 8-)
Although there were (and probably still are) issues with the F88 Austeyr it appeared to perform well on operations, mind you on his two tours of Afghanistan a mate of mine carried the M4 because that's what his unit was issued with. ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Nathwraith
Home club or Range: Minsterly Ranges

#298 Post by Nathwraith »

I took the AUG out yesterday. Sadly I had to cancel my Vortex Spitfire 3x scope on order as the supplier couldn't get me another for another 10 days (web said 3 days when I ordered which was 9 days prior but thats by the by).

So I ended up using it with the cheap red dot at 50 & 100 yards. Once zeroed in, the gun was great fun.

I used a mix of Hornady training ammo (steel cased) and military surplus (brass cased) and I can say hands down I will never buy steel cased ammo again! I felt like I'd done a full body work out after one mag of steel cased ammo, primary extraction was tough!

Gun worked flawlessly and I'm keen to get back to the range with some real glass.

I've been looking at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm scope. http://www.blackrifle.co.uk/Vortex-Stri ... eeagle.htm

Any thoughts?

A few pics below:

markS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove small arms

#299 Post by markS »

I have a vortex strike eagle. I'm very impressed with it. For the money it's a cracking scope and I have no hesitation in recommending one.
Nathwraith
Home club or Range: Minsterly Ranges

#300 Post by Nathwraith »

markS wrote:I have a vortex strike eagle. I'm very impressed with it. For the money it's a cracking scope and I have no hesitation in recommending one.
Ah that is good to hear. The magnification looks good and I like the style of it too.

I have heard mixed things about the reticle though. How do you find it?