SIG Sauer rifles.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: SIG Sauer rifles.

#21 Post by Sim G »

Non of the Sigs are made in Switzerland these days, I believe. Either Germany or New Hampshire. My SSG3000 was made in Germany. For a long while they haven't been able to get the SSG3000 in the US because of export restrictions imposed by the German government of the German side of the business. Seems some of their products ended up with people in places they didn't want them to be....

The "not as good as they were" may stem from the stock. Initially, SSG3000s wore a stock made by McMillan. Now in whatever guise, a McMillan stock is going to be outstanding, but expensive. This was changed to a proprietary, in house made stock. Mine wears one of the later ones and it certainly doesn't feel inferior.

The rifle is a fantastic shooter. It just seems to shoot every thing very well. But the stuff it likes, fantastically. I rocked up at the club one day having taken my SSG and some fantastic ammunition. Unfortunately the fantastic stuff I took was 7mm08 and not 308! Bought some Privi 145gn FMJs and I was not disappointed!

The only downside is the magazines. I like a few spares with any magazine needed. I have a couple for the SSG, I'd like more, but they're over 100 quid each!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: SIG Sauer rifles.

#22 Post by Sim G »

It looks like new SSGs wear a different stock again! The new one has "Sig Sauer" on the friend and the mag well area of the stock is scalloped.

Three types then....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!