Swing Rifles - History for Wikipedia

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

R.G.C

Re: Swing Rifles - History for Wikipedia

#91 Post by R.G.C »

Pete wrote:I have often wondered why the front collar (hammer) is hardened steel. Would it not have been easier to achieve a short locktime by using a less massive material eg one of the hard aluminium alloys, and a softer spring? I might try that..............

Pete
Pete,

The FP assembly of the Swings is already quite light as compared to many others.

Energy and locktime are the result of:
-Mass in motion
-Spring force
-FP travel.

The Swing FP system was acceptable in mass, too strong in spring force (dimensions adding to the mass) and too long in ytavel (this is the most time ''consuming' hactor).

A first step was already achieved with the Paramounts in reducing, on my instigation, , the FP travel from 6,5mm to 5mm, but the spring was not lightened.

To achieve the real reduction of locktime, the only solution consist in reducing the FP travel to the maximum (4mm as for the C.G and C.G-RPA). Not impossible, I have done it in the past, but need machinery and engineering skills...and patince!!

R.G.C
R.G.C

#92 Post by R.G.C »

shugie wrote:I can get a bag of 30 washers from here - http://www.springfasteners.co.uk/depart ... e_washers/

The 16mm OD washers have an ID of 8.2mm, and thickness of 0.4 to 0.9mm, which thickness is likely to be most suitable for up to 30 washers? And is the ID of 8.2mm ok?
Shungee,

More info

You can do the transformation as Pete did. Those 6,2x12,5x0,5mm Belleville are used since 1994 on all C.G models .

The problem using them on the Swings is to ensure they slide well on the 6,35mm shaft . It might well be necessary to open them a little with a hand grinder ?

But I would suggest an pther way, using imperial sized washers :

1°) 6,48 x 12,7 x 0,56. Try 52-54 washers giving probably same results as Pete’s.
2°) : 6,48 x 16,18 x 0,64. Those has to deal with the undercut shoulders and the fjrst and last washer has to bear frpm their outside on the outside of the front and rear collars and the others by pairs as normal .This arrangement would probably require 40 or 42 washers for also some 145-150 Newton.

Those washers should be easily found in UK. A source is Associated Springs-SPEC in Evesham.
References B500-022 and B-0637-022.

R.G.C
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#93 Post by hitchphil »

Question ........... that the answer can be added to the wiki because it will be useful to someone.....

What is the thread of the windage axis screw in the Swing rear sight?

............... & was the left handed sight made with a LH thread?....because I have bits of one & it seems to have a anticlockwise thread on it?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#94 Post by Pete »

There are different makes fitted to Swings...........mine is a Lynx, with 1/4 minute clicks.

FWIW, 0.187" diam x 40G Whitworth, as far as I can tell without stripping it.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
R.G.C

#95 Post by R.G.C »

Pete wrote:There are different makes fitted to Swings...........mine is a Lynx, with 1/4 minute clicks.

FWIW, 0.187" diam x 40G Whitworth, as far as I can tell without stripping it.

Pete
Correct. What however surprises me is the L/H thread..unless the sight was built foe amarican moveme,ts?
R.G.C
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#96 Post by Pete »

Mine has right-hand threads on the windage and the elevation............turn clockwise to move POI right/up.

It's marked "Lynx England Serial 0522 RS200-1".

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#97 Post by hitchphil »

Picture of my swinger bits 8-)

top the LH sight arm, screw (single end & knob on right)

Lower

double ended right hand sight axis pin.

I need a double ended pin but with a anticlockwise thread to fit the LH sight windage block above...............

The LH pin is an ACW thread & the Right a CW thread.
Attachments
swing sight bits.jpg
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Holds Tight

#98 Post by Holds Tight »

I've just gotten my grubby hands on a left hand Swenson Precision England sight four clicks to the minute, with yardage(?) on the extreme left of the elevation scales, 60 minutes of windage.

Does anyone have any info on this sight, am I correct in thinking that these were original equipment on Swings?

Thanks in advance,

David
Attachments
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
Holds Tight
Bermuda

Things my wife hates:
My Barnard stocked in an Eliseo B1 .308, B.A.T. .308, Anschutz .22 stocked in an Eliseo AN1, Walther .22\.32 GSP, Ruger GP 101 .357, S&W 745 .45 and sometimes.........ME!
R.G.C

#99 Post by R.G.C »

Holds Tight wrote:I've just gotten my grubby hands on a left hand Swenson Precision England sight four clicks to the minute, with yardage(?) on the extreme left of the elevation scales, 60 minutes of windage.

Does anyone have any info on this sight, am I correct in thinking that these were original equipment on Swings?

Thanks in advance,

David
David,
The sight was originally made for John Wilkes by Churwick Engineering and bore the label 'Swenson Precision. George Swenson was than working for Wilkes.

With little improvements, they were made until about 1994 Under 'Swing' 'Paramount' 'R and P Arms',always by the same manufacturer .

R.G.C
s-g-designs.blog4ever.com