Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

#1 Post by pbrazendale »

Hi,

From reading other threads on here I have been looking at the Russian Military website regarding the AKM in 7.62 x 39.

When my FAC lands i hopefully should have a slot for the above and would like to get one however I have some questions:

1) I notice they specify one version as a 'Romanian' AKM, is this different in any way to the I presume 'Russian' spec one?

2) Which one is more realistic and will they take mil spec mags?

3) 7.62 x 39 ammo, is it hard to come by? Is it something you reload? Or do you suggest getting the cheap Tul Ammo steel cased stuff?

4) what about optics? Is it easy to put optics on these for example a light scope for say 100 yds shooting? Or do you need specific adaptors?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

#2 Post by froggy »

Privet (futur) Tovarich !

Except Yugo/Serbian AK, I think all the AK are built to the same specifications. The "Russian" element is more a "collector" thingy.
All the AK47 mags will fit your AK of choice.
7,62x39 mil-surp is both quite cheap & easy to buy, so no real financial benefit to reload I think.
If you really-really need to put an optic/red dot (etc...) on an AK, the original side rail is , IMO, the way to go. No need to go for those silly inferior capitalist cr*ppy products ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#3 Post by DanTheMan »

froggy wrote: All the AK47 mags will fit your AK of choice.
Not so fast froggy, the Russian Saiga AK's need to be modified with a bullet guide otherwise only the Saiga mags will work. The Romy AK's take all AK mags.

Snayperskaya will be here soon with plenty of pics and info.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#4 Post by froggy »

Sorry, you'r probably correct. Ups... I only use the cheap military issued mags.
BTW, even Yugo/Serbian mags will work in all AKM.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by bnz41 »

I have a Saiga AK (Russian) and yes only Saiga mags will fit unless as Dan the Man says they need a bullet guide fitting to use Milsurp mags. Mine has a BP-02 Siderail-to-Weaver adaptor rail and I have fitted a mil-dot scope (Sorry Snayperskaya) mount has not moved under recoil.

As the OP asked the only AK's available from Oleg are 'Romanian' AKM but he will sell you the wood and muzzle brake to make it look Russian.
7.62x39 Milsurp is available but recently gone up in price from around the £25 mark upto now £30 a hundred. It is corrosive primed so need to clean rifle well once finished shooting.

ussrflag
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#6 Post by Fedaykin »

Snayperskaya will be here momentarily to tell us the exact details of all the 10,000 different Com-Bloc rifles he owns! :p

From my part as a military firearm enthusiast the subject "What is a more real Kalashnikov variant" is both fascinating but also rather missing the point.

So many different AK variants have been built in so many countries both officially and unofficially that it could be the subject of several very thick books. For that matter you could write a very thick book just on all the different variants of magazines used by the rifle!

In my opinion the WASR 1.63 made by the Cugir factory is no less an AK then any other made in the Communist Block. Detail wise it lacks the chromed bolt carrier but arguably looks more authentic than a Saiga built rifle or the Bulgarian AK that Oleg sells at the moment!

Saiga use a propitiatory magazine whilst the WASR uses a standard AK compatible milspec magazine.

As for ammunition, buy in bulk, buy cheap and don't worry about buying Steel case or accuracy.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#7 Post by pbrazendale »

Thanks for all the info so far, I really didn't know there were so many different variations.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by lasbrisas »

I have one of the Romanian Cugir AKMs, as far as I know and has already been said it is the closest you will get to the real thing in this country. I used to use the milsurp ammo but now reload for it including indoor use with light loads, as it's a straight pull there's no worry about it having enough power to cycle.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

DanTheMan wrote:
froggy wrote: All the AK47 mags will fit your AK of choice.
Not so fast froggy, the Russian Saiga AK's need to be modified with a bullet guide otherwise only the Saiga mags will work. The Romy AK's take all AK mags.

Snayperskaya will be here soon with plenty of pics and info.
It's a doddle to mod standard AK47 mags for the Saiga though - bit of weld on the front top of a standard mag to act as a bullet guide and a little filing on the rear catch lug. I've done loads.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#10 Post by Daryll »

I have one of the Cugirs too..
I fitted a UTG mount to the exisiting side bracket, then found the standard stock didn't give me a weld, cheek or chin, so I went for the full "tacticool" look, with adjustable cheek rest.

I also modded the safety to make it a hold open catch.

I buy the Barnauld (sp?) ammo from my local RFD... i don't use it enough to justify the expense of setting up to reload...