Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Some question on the 7.62 x 39 AKM Comrades

#21 Post by safetyfirst »

I've got the pbs, unless you're loading down your own subsonic ammo, it's not going to be that quiet! It does look great, built like a tank. Will rust though so needs care.

I have some FAB polymer furniture with scope rail if you want some.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

safetyfirst wrote:I've got the pbs, unless you're loading down your own subsonic ammo, it's not going to be that quiet! It does look great, built like a tank. Will rust though so needs care.

I have some FAB polymer furniture with scope rail if you want some.
Doesn't the PBS strip for cleaning?, I know the Russian military ones do but don't know about the ones Oleg sells.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#23 Post by safetyfirst »

Mine does yes.
Charlie J

#24 Post by Charlie J »

bnz41 wrote:
It's a doddle to mod standard AK47 mags for the Saiga though - bit of weld on the front top of a standard mag to act as a bullet guide and a little filing on the rear catch lug. I've done loads.[/quote]

So just to clarify if I do the above to my standard AK mags then I don't need to install the bullet guide to the front trunion ? mentioned earlier in this post ?

It's do one or the other not both ?

Cheers Chas
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#25 Post by breacher »

Charlie J wrote:
bnz41 wrote:
It's a doddle to mod standard AK47 mags for the Saiga though - bit of weld on the front top of a standard mag to act as a bullet guide and a little filing on the rear catch lug. I've done loads.
So just to clarify if I do the above to my standard AK mags then I don't need to install the bullet guide to the front trunion ? mentioned earlier in this post ?

Cheers Chas[/quote]

Yes - either or.

Installing the bullet guide is easy. One drill and tap.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#26 Post by snayperskaya »

Charlie J wrote:
bnz41 wrote:
It's a doddle to mod standard AK47 mags for the Saiga though - bit of weld on the front top of a standard mag to act as a bullet guide and a little filing on the rear catch lug. I've done loads.

Cheers Chas[/quote]

You either weld the front of a steel AK mag to act as a ramp OR fit a feed ramp......not both.

As I said personally I fit a feed ramp, that way you can use pretty much any AK mag.By fitting a feed ramp you can use AK "Bakelite" mags for example which by their nature can't be welded.

Drill and tap one hole and fit a feed ramp and use any mag or tat about welding and filing mags......standard AK steel mags can be picked up for around £12 each so I know which I'd sooner do.

By the way the mag latch should only need filing on a Saiga if you go the feed ramp/AK mag route as the rear lug on a Saiga mag is actually smaller than a standard AK mag so the mag latch on the gun has to be filed a touch so it will lock the larger AK rear lug........

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Charlie J

#27 Post by Charlie J »

My Saiga has already got a tapped hole ready to accept the feed ramp , so maybe someone has done it before although the ramp is missing or maybe it comes like that.

Does anyone in the UK sell those feedramps or do you have to import from Dinzag arms direct .
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#28 Post by snayperskaya »

Charlie J wrote:My Saiga has already got a tapped hole ready to accept the feed ramp , so maybe someone has done it before although the ramp is missing or maybe it comes like that.

Does anyone in the UK sell those feedramps or do you have to import from Dinzag arms direct .
It may have had one before as they certainly don't come from the factory already drilled and tapped.Not found a supplier in the UK, all the ones I have had have come from Dinzag and they fit and function perfectly and they are pretty much the go to feed ramp that Saiga owners in the USA use as well.

It is possible to make your own, especially if you have a flat trunnion (I made my first one, lots of fettling and trial fitting required!!!) but the Dinzag ones work first time so its just easier.
Last edited by snayperskaya on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie J

#29 Post by Charlie J »

Just got email back from Dinzag and will order one now as seems easiest route as threaded hole already there.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

That's one of the beauties of the Romanian AKM's that Oleg sells, they have a standard AKM feed ramp fitted from the factory and will take standard AK mags from the off.