Inconsistent shots

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Richie
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Inconsistent shots

#1 Post by Richie »

Help!

I've been target shooting since 2011 but given time constraints and having young kids I shot club guns for a few years and have really only recent brought a good gun of my own - older kids, more time on my hands, bit more cash kicking around.

Unfortunately, since I began shooting my own gun my shooting has been terrible. I can't put a decent group together at any distance and am struggling to figure out why. I've now effectively restricted myself to 100yards with the hope of narrowing down the variables to find a solution.

The gun is an AI AT in .308 which has done about 700 rounds - I brought it used with roughly 400 on the clock.

I've shot prone, from a bench no change. I've even tried shooting with my weaker right arm but there is no difference in the results.

The gun is fitted with a IOR scope that seems to be in perfect working order.

I have been using GGG 168g ammo.

Any ideas?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Inconsistent shots

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Well first off a AI AT in .308 meant nothing to me. I googled it out of curiosity and it appears its a Accuracy International. If you can not get it to shoot accurately past 100 yards then I think you must be doing some thing wrong. I would be surprised if the rifle would not perform out to at least 800 yards unless there is some thing wrong with it.
More info I think were are you shooting it do you shoot of a bipod have you tried benching the rifle that would be the first thing I would do. I shoot hand loaded ammunition in my .308's I dont know anything about GGG ammo.
Richie

#3 Post by Richie »

Sorry, yes its an Accuracy international and it should absolutely shoot accurately out to 800m and beyond.

I shoot off a bi-pod
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

What weight bullets are you shooting and are you reloading or using factory?

Some careful load development should see you with a sub MOA rifle which would be quite capable to 800m.

EDIT - Spotted GGG at the bottom, that will teach me to skim read, what size groups are you getting?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Richie, firstly welcome to the forum.

There could be a few obvious things to check, like making sure everything tight, like scope mounts etc.

It could just be the ammo idoesn't suit the barrel.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The GGG ammo. rifle and scope should be an accurate combination capable of achieving MOA accuracy or better at 100 yards.
Get an experienced shooter to shoot it. He'll soon tell you if it's you or the gun.
Richie

#7 Post by Richie »

Thanks for the feedback so far - i appreciate it.

In terms of group sizes, if i were to shoot 10 rounds at a target i would probably get half in a group of around 1 MOA and the rest would be strewn around within a circle of 2-3 MOA in total but its not like the grouped shots would be shot together there might be 2 or 3 good shots then a few flyers etc.
Send it

#8 Post by Send it »

Like the other Guys have mentioned, it could be a number of things. AI are usually phenomenally accurate Rifles. Make sure all screws are secure on the Rifle, scope and mounts. Check the crown of the Rifle just in case you have knocked it at some point. When was the last time it was cleaned properly? The Barrel may need a good clean. It could also be down to shooter error. You may not be building up your correct firing position etc. You are most probably doing everything right but just go through the correct procedures before, during and after you take the shot.

Like the Gun pimp said, Let the best Rifle Shot you know shoot. They can then give you feedback and then go from there
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shoot with a Versapod bipod on my AI and find it works best with the bipod loaded up, by that I mean lean into it slightly to take the slack out and support the underside of the butt with your weak hand. I also prefer to shoot as low as possible so a 6" when extended bipod and just a couple of fingers under the butt.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Send it

#10 Post by Send it »

You sound like you know what you are talking about David :good:

Good sound advice right there.