AXACIS or MDT - Remington 700

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

AXACIS or MDT - Remington 700

#1 Post by Geek »

Dear all,

I would quite like either a Ruger PR or Tikka T3x TAC A1 in .223, it would appear however that this is not an option.

Therefore, my next purchase will probably be a .semi custom 223 Remington 700 SPS with one of the following chassis systems.

http://www.accuracyi...hassis-systems/

or

http://www.blackrifl...s-p/mdt-lss.htm

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions of the benefits or any negatives with either.

Any ideas on the cost of both would also be appreciated.

As an aside, I would quite like an MDT LSS for my Ruger American but the cost is hard to justify for a rimfire.

Thank you.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: AXACIS or MDT - Remington 700

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

Links are broken :(

You've already got an RPR, and an actual AI. So personally I'd go for the MDT stock, however that's not down to time on the specific chassis, its because variety is the spice of life, in my opinion.

That said, if he ergonomics of either the RPR or the AI, to you is better, then that would be the deciding factor.

My R700 Police in .223 is a great rifle. Excellent accuracy following work done by Norman Clark in Rugby. And it's infinitely more useable now it's had an AICS Mag Well Fitted. But I'm pretty sure it's no cheaper going for a police and modding it over a cheaper version of the rifle and swapping the stock.

That said it is a 1/9 twist over the 1/12 that a lot of them come in, so be aware if you wish to use the heavier grain bullets (I'm sure you already are and I'm teaching granny to suck eggs).
majordisorder

#3 Post by majordisorder »

Geek wrote:Dear all,

I would quite like either a Ruger PR or Tikka T3x TAC A1 in .223, it would appear however that this is not an option.

Therefore, my next purchase will probably be a .semi custom 223 Remington 700 SPS with one of the following chassis systems.

http://www.accuracyi...hassis-systems/

or

http://www.blackrifl...s-p/mdt-lss.htm

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions of the benefits or any negatives with either.

Any ideas on the cost of both would also be appreciated.

As an aside, I would quite like an MDT LSS for my Ruger American but the cost is hard to justify for a rimfire.

Thank you.
Can't fault the MDT LSS, we've sold lots including the new .22LR version. Cost with the most common configuration of a Magpul CTR, AICS mag and the other necessary parts is around the £510 mark, £475 for the rimfire version.
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
Geek

#4 Post by Geek »

Thank you for your responses

Links:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ai ... s-systems/

https://www.blackrifle.co.uk/MDT-LSS-Ch ... dt-lss.htm

As you say TattooedGun "variety is the spice of life" and I am leaning towards the MDT, however, I do think I would need to try the MDT stock. This option would certainly be the most cost effective; the AXACIS would end up about £1960+.

I need to have a think (and save up a little more) before I make my purchase which will probably be the MDT - A man (or woman) can never have enough rifles (my wife has too many pairs of shoes) :)
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

Geek wrote:Thank you for your responses

Links:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ai ... s-systems/

https://www.blackrifle.co.uk/MDT-LSS-Ch ... dt-lss.htm

As you say TattooedGun "variety is the spice of life" and I am leaning towards the MDT, however, I do think I would need to try the MDT stock. This option would certainly be the most cost effective; the AXACIS would end up about £1960+.

I need to have a think (and save up a little more) before I make my purchase which will probably be the MDT - A man (or woman) can never have enough rifles (my wife has too many pairs of shoes) :)
If I were to do it again, I'd wait for a good second hand remi to come up, rather than buying brand new. Preferably one that had been trued.

When I think about how much I've spent on my remi 700... I could have almost bought a new accuracy international...

Something to ponder.
Geek

#6 Post by Geek »

TattooedGun, I do know what you mean! There is very little of my 10/22 remaining other than the receiver and the bolt. Hogue stock, power custom firing pin, bolt release and extractor, timney trigger and Volquartsen Carbon Fibre Match Barrel!

When I purchased the Ruger PR, I did try to get hold of a secondhand AI to convert to 6.5CM, I also looked at a semi-custom Remington but at a quoted cost of £3k my preference would have been the AI route.

I do like semi-custom firearms, so that they do look different to the others.

To avoid the situation I have done with my 10/22, I don't want to put too much money into the Remington (it has to be understood that you will never get the money back), so the MDT does look to be the right option and makes it different (and hopefully more accurate). I am aware that there are people spending over £3k on custom Remington's; personally I would save up a bit more to get the AI (but then I am an AI fan).

The fun part with the Remington is that it's the Bolt on bits that you can add to your hearts content (as the USA does with their AR's).
Regards,

Geek

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

I have the MDT Tac21 chassis on my R700. It feels so much better to shoot compared with the AICS 2.0 I had on it previously. You can customise the rear butt stock and pistol grip with any standard AR-15 parts so there's plenty of different options to make it suitable for yourself.
Geek

#8 Post by Geek »

WelshShooter wrote:I have the MDT Tac21 chassis on my R700. It feels so much better to shoot compared with the AICS 2.0 I had on it previously. You can customise the rear butt stock and pistol grip with any standard AR-15 parts so there's plenty of different options to make it suitable for yourself.
Could you please post a picture?
Regards,

Geek

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

Hi Geek,

Here you go! It's a 27" heavy barrel too.

MDT Tac21 in FDE
MDT Skeleton Stock in FDE
Hogue Rubber Grip in FDE
MDT Polymer AI magazine in FDE

The chassis will take standard AI mags (my 308win 5 rounder works well) and these ten round MDT magazines are affordable and work well. Also, unlike the Scar 17 all the components colour match very well!