New Toy

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

New Toy

#1 Post by falco67 »

Very much a wild card for me..my other rifles are all very old and definitely ex-military.

But this has been at the back of my mind for a long while, the slot was vacant, the cash was available, so I thought why not take the plunge.

Its a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag and has yet to be fired, so some time this week it will go to the range shakeshout
Attachments
henry-.44.jpg
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: New Toy

#2 Post by Geek »

Looks good, have fun.

I am the opposite to you, my rifles are generally plastic fantastic, but I do enjoy my .357 Marlin underlever.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#3 Post by David Nimrod »

falco67 wrote: Its a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag...
That looks really excellent!

:good: :good: :good:
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Congratulations on your new Henry! :good:

As coincidence would have it, I collected a .22 Henry Frontier on Friday that I've been waiting nearly 4 months for. For the money, Henry RA makes the smoothest action of any lever gun. The Uberti's come close, but the Henry is better. ;) :D

I've been toying with the idea of buying the Henry Big Boy .357, but the piggy bank is a bit thin at the moment. lol
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#5 Post by Lever357 »

Thats looks very nice indeed and I'm sure you will enjoy it. My friend has the Yellow Boy .357 Henry and the only thing I did not like was the loading system so I went for a Uberti 1873.

Happy shooting.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Lever357 wrote: My friend has the Yellow Boy .357 Henry and the only thing I did not like was the loading system so I went for a Uberti 1873.
Same here, my good friend has a .357 Henry, and it is nice to shoot, but, I just love the look, action, feel etc of a 1873 instead......especially in .45LC which my Uberti is :D
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#7 Post by Lever357 »

GeeRam wrote:
Lever357 wrote: My friend has the Yellow Boy .357 Henry and the only thing I did not like was the loading system so I went for a Uberti 1873.
Same here, my good friend has a .357 Henry, and it is nice to shoot, but, I just love the look, action, feel etc of a 1873 instead......especially in .45LC which my Uberti is :D
Totally agree GeeRam - the 1873 has a much more classic, historic look to it, especially as you cannot put a scope on it. My Henry owning friend often shoots my Uberti and says its "sweet"!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#8 Post by phaedra1106 »

Strip it, give it a good clean and then a light lube before you use it, both of mine came dry as a bone from the proof house. Only takes 5-10 mins and the removal of 1 screw :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Lever357 wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Totally agree GeeRam - the 1873 has a much more classic, historic look to it, especially as you cannot put a scope on it. My Henry owning friend often shoots my Uberti and says its "sweet"!!
Once I've put another few hundred rounds through mine, it will be going to A&A Gunsmiths for one of their action jobs to make it even sweeter, as being the Comp version, it already has a factory short stroke kit :good:
falco67

#10 Post by falco67 »

finally fired the Henry today after a bit of a saga.

I took it to the range last Thursday and managed to jam the first round into the loading mechanism..note to self- always load the rifle with the action closed! aaarggh

Simon at Lawrence Precision sorted it and also lubed the action, it was dry as a bone!
phaedra1106 wrote:Strip it, give it a good clean and then a light lube before you use it, both of mine came dry as a bone from the proof house. Only takes 5-10 mins and the removal of 1 screw :)
I used Magtech .44 SPL Cowboy Action ammo and was very surprised that there was no recoil or noise to speak of when fired.

The accuracy surprised me but the cases were very dirty, which I didn't expect.

So my first encounter with an underlever was very satisfying and I am certainly pleased with my purchase.

I am also picking up the relevant reloading gear from a fellow club member who has parted with his .44 so all in all, I am a happy bunny :good: