Zeroing quick

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

Zeroing quick

#1 Post by Gerry939 »

I'm shooting at 1000 yd I'm doing o.k. we have to move forward to 800 yd , i haven't shot at 800 yd before so i don't have the settings in my book, what is the best way to get on target quickest, is it to dial down and by how much, or is to hold off.
am i making myself clear....???
:flag6: Gerry939
JimJimmy

Re: Zeroing quick

#2 Post by JimJimmy »

You could use a balistic calculator like Strelok to calculate it but you'd need the BC of your ammo and an idea of it's velocity.

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
hobbesy

#3 Post by hobbesy »

JimJimmy wrote:You could use a balistic calculator like Strelok to calculate it but you'd need the BC of your ammo and an idea of it's velocity.

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
Jimmy is right, you could use Strelock (as I do) but you need gun, scope, ammo and bullet details before it can help you. You can SWAG (scientific wild arse guess) it, or search for your ammo and bullet drop at that distance on google.
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#4 Post by North Star »

My trusty A J Parker wind calculator has a table on the back for just such an emergency! 1000 to 800 yards, 13.5 minutes. This is for 7.62mm, but it should get you on the paper.
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

If you want an accurate response then you'll need to give adequate information. What calibre are you shooting? What mass bullet are you using? What is the muzzle velocity of your ammunition?
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#6 Post by ColinR »

Gerry939 wrote:I'm shooting at 1000 yd I'm doing o.k. we have to move forward to 800 yd , i haven't shot at 800 yd before so i don't have the settings in my book, what is the best way to get on target quickest, is it to dial down and by how much, or is to hold off.
am i making myself clear....???
I use a Kestrel with Atrag ballistics calculator that gives a firing solution based on numerous factors including coriolis. But as has been said you need to file quite a lot of data about zero, rifling twist, bullet weight and BC, fps, height of sight above the barrel etc. etc. Once you have done this you can refer to a Range Card that will give you corrections for every 50 yards or metres. Not sure if the Kestrel is the best ballistic calculator but it easily gets you on target at differing ranges and has many other uses such as measuring wind speed and direction and using that in the calculation for a specific target distance.