Palma shooting jackets

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

Palma shooting jackets

#1 Post by North Star »

I have some surplus funds, so I want to buy a new jacket for Palma shooting. I am currently using a hand me down Andrew Tucker double canvas jacket, but I want something new and preferably made to measure. I was about to order a Kurt Thune 600 prone jacket, but a good friend of mine said it might not be suitable, as it is intended for .22 shooting and doesn't have enough shoulder padding for a .308. I have emailed the agent to see if they will make the jacket with a suitable shoulder pad, but what other options are there?
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Palma shooting jackets

#2 Post by hitchphil »

Google & ask Ten ring services about their leather off the peg tucker clone full leather jackets. £280 each. Tor fullbore TR you need a waterproof jacket in UK!

or look up Desi Smitt in South Africa she makes to measure & ships in. ~£300 all inc

or the £800 option Ten Point Nine.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
amyjane

#3 Post by amyjane »

Truttmann or Creedmoor probably the most popular and best options.
Martin

#4 Post by Martin »

North Star wrote: I was about to order a Kurt Thune 600 prone jacket, but a good friend of mine said it might not be suitable, as it is intended for .22 shooting and doesn't have enough shoulder padding for a .308.
I have been using a Kurt Thune prone jacket for 10 years in full bore. No problem at all with either the fit or the padding. I would recommend further investigations before you abandon this option.

Martin
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#5 Post by North Star »

Thanks Martin, I bought my son an off the peg Kurt Thune jacket for standing air rifle a few years ago, and the quality is fantastic. The exchange rate must be favorable at the moment, because I was quoted around £500 for the made to measure prone jacket.
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
rox

#6 Post by rox »

I'm one year into a Ten Point Nine, which replaced my Truttman, and I *love* it. My Truttman was made to measure but without visting them, and it never fitted particularly well (apart from across the shoulders, so it was OK from a performance perspective). I spent two days having the Ten Point Nine built around me, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to spend that much on a jacket. Although expensive, it saves a visit to Switzerland (for UK folks), and adjustments are free for ever. Alternatively, consider a Creedmore, which might be an easier solution since you are in the same continent. They aren't my cup of tea, but lots of top shooters are doing well in them.

TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

My kurt Thune is not made to measure and fit me fine for about a month. I must have put on some weight over that time as it's now a struggle to get on. A shame when you pay so much, but I know the answer is to lose weight to get back into it.

Can't help but think if I'd gone made to measure it would have gone from fine to perfect and had some wiggle room for weight fluctuations :/

Oh well. For £280 (iirc) off the peg wasn't too bad.
proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by proteus »

I'll second ten ring, I bought one of his full leather ones the other week instead of a kurt thine 600. Worth giving him a ring, you can try it on at Bisley and if it fits well they're a bargain in comparison.

They're zip up like the old Andrew Tucker ones so not likely to satisfy the ISSF rules if that matters to you.