Moderator for an AR and 5.56

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Moderator for an AR and 5.56

#1 Post by JS569 »

There's two points to this question. I'm looking for a moderator for my lantac 5.56 AR; I've had the slot on my license a while but have never got round to purchasing one. Can anyone recommend a 'can' which doesn't go into silly money. I've been looking at the ASE's something like this:
http://northern-optics.co.uk/epages/b5c ... A%20CQB%22

but also been looking at the MAE: http://northern-optics.co.uk/epages/b5c ... 4%20STS%22

Does anyone have any experience of these or advice? I live near Leeds so anywhere that is localish to obtain one would be helpful! I would say the ASE is about top end of the budget. If there are any QD options to fit on a A2 birdcage that would be helpful. I'm not adverse to buying a second hand one if someone is getting rid of one.

Finally my source of cheap surplus/ barnau(?) is drying up, is there anywhere in Yorkshire that is a reliable supplier of this ammunition?

thanks
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Moderator for an AR and 5.56

#2 Post by Daryll »

The Wildcat Evolution is a good moderator, and cheaper than the Ase, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to rapid or sustained fire.

(Mine creates a definite heat mirage visible through the scope after firing 5 .308s through it over a couple of minutes.)

The Ase's are designed to go on full auto rifles, so should cope well.

Also Ase is one of the few companies that has a full list of adaptors for all barrel threads, even the LH threads of the AKs and Steyr AUG.

(I've recently been through a load of research looking at Mods for my rifles, so currently well versed in them :) )
Rarms
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Rarms »

If you have a compensator on the end of the barrel then I would consider a QD style mod so you don't have to keep re-timing the compensator. Probably a bit more than your looking to spend, but then the versatility of them may save you money in the long run as you only need one mod for all your guns.

I use the ASE Borelock on all my guns, which means I can use the same mod on the lot, 7mm Stalking rifle, .22lr AR, .223 AR & .30-30 lever gun.

Thing I like about the ASE style is you can also use any muzzle device in front of the borelock bush with the same dimensions as an A2 flash hider, so on my bigger calibre guns they have built in brakes for shooting without the mod.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#4 Post by DaveB »

I have one of the ASE Utra JetZ suppressors for my 300 Blackout, which I also use on the AR15 in 5.56mm. I think they are pretty good.

After complaints from the line last shoot about my 'obnoxious' ASE muzzle brake, I just changed it over for one of ASE's four-prong flash eliminators. Much less annoying.
JS569

#5 Post by JS569 »

I like the look of the ASE's especially with the borelock system. Seems like they'd be a good choice.

My 6.5 mod heats up pretty quickly generating a heat mirage so i'd definately been keen on avoiding that
JS569

#6 Post by JS569 »

Daryll wrote:The Wildcat Evolution is a good moderator, and cheaper than the Ase, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to rapid or sustained fire.

(Mine creates a definite heat mirage visible through the scope after firing 5 .308s through it over a couple of minutes.)

The Ase's are designed to go on full auto rifles, so should cope well.

Also Ase is one of the few companies that has a full list of adaptors for all barrel threads, even the LH threads of the AKs and Steyr AUG.

(I've recently been through a load of research looking at Mods for my rifles, so currently well versed in them :) )
Opted for a wildcat in the end based on cost and local availability. Hoping to have it sorted for this weekend so I can test it out. thanks for the input!