Educate Badger: straight pull Black Rifles

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Laurie

Re: Educate Badger: straight pull Black Rifles

#41 Post by Laurie »

Sim G wrote:No one remember my "Mini 14 challenge" on here?

Got one, with not too much effort to group to a genuine 1.5" consistently at 100 and knock down targets on an ETR out to 600. And reckon I hit a couple of armoured vehicles with RG tracer at a little over 800...

Oh, I miss that rifle now....
A pre '88 semi-auto model, rather than the later straight-pull 'BAO' UK-only version?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#42 Post by Sim G »

A BAO model.

Great fun doing it. The rifle bounced between Kev and I a couple of times. Unfortunately sold it to buy a Remy LTR in 6.8SPC as I fancied a play with the cartridge. Wished I hadn't......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#43 Post by Maggot »

I think what people may forget is that a lot of the service ammunition is quite hot and designed to keep dirty, hot auto and semi autos running.

When you take the same ammo and put it into a sweet little AR or perhaps a castrated M14 or L1A1, all that gas has no function other than to obturate the chamber and send the bullet down the range. The brass can also be quite soft so it forms better to the chamber and springs back less than say a decent hand load using GGG Brass.

The problem is that the primary extraction force that used to be provided by all that gas is now absent and you have to do the lot, so it can be a pig, even in the best of straight pull ARs.

A lot of the Straight pull ARs used in CSR work well with RG and the like, but even then, when warm, they can get very stiff to cycle, there are so many variables.

I tried a straight pull L1A1 a while back, and as a sprog of the 80s it left me close to tears....what a piece of crap!!

Badger, if it were me, I would look at a basic .223/5.56x45 AR mate with an 18" tube. Mine is a Bradley, it has been well used, and performs well with a sling out to 600. Mark did very well with hand loaded VLDs out to 1000 in the phoenix. The AR is a well proven platform that is well understood by (some of) the UK builders. Get exotic by all means but consider that the options are greater with the mainstream calibres and platforms, not only in terms of parts and ammo, but also in terms of known faults overcome and available service. If I was in the market for a .308 I would have an LMT in a blink, otherwise I would always go for an AR and in my case a Bradley. I cant speak for others but I have found his service and patience (when I have been daft) of a very high standard.

There are also some sublime after market triggers available for the ARs, I have just fitted trigger tech AR Adaptable units to both of my ARs and they are superb and although set at over 4.5, feel less and are very crisp.

Talking of bullets I see that PPU have a little 75grain .224 match bullet out at £14 per 100. Against £21 per hundred for SMKs at moderate ranges they have to be worth looking at. They group as well as SMKs with mine at 100, so even if they only get used for practice its a saving.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#44 Post by meles meles »

Ah, but we quite likes the idea of the 'efty thwack a .458 subsonic 600 grain lump could deliver...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
meles meles

#45 Post by meles meles »

Hmmm, so it seems a .223 Wylde would be the sensible option then, and from either Bradders or Valkyrie Rifles...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

BamBam

#46 Post by BamBam »

And only took you 2 months to make a decision...

I have one of these coming in the New Year.

meles meles

#47 Post by meles meles »

We don't rush into things...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#48 Post by Pete »

Save up and buy a Blaser LRS (preferred, but hard to find), or LRS 2. Collet bolt head is self-centering and very strong, and the rifle is superbly accurate.
Then take out a second mortgage, and order a 6BR or 6.5x47 barrel........you will not be disappointed. Barrels can be changed in minutes.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#49 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#50 Post by safetyfirst »

Nice looking raven.