FAC renewal - new question asked

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

FAC renewal - new question asked

#1 Post by Geek »

I have just had my renewal this morning, no issues (additional slots granted). However, I was asked a new question, where do you keep your spare keys? which I thought was most unusual. It was advised that in the event of the death of an FAC holder it allows the police to take possession of the firearms without damaging the property.

They then wrote the location on the form and advised that it is hand written visit notes only, not saved electronically.

Thoughts anyone?
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Dunc
Home club or Range: Marlow

Re: FAC renewal - new question asked

#2 Post by Dunc »

I have always believed that you don't tell anyone where your keys/spare keys are, not even your FEO...
And if asked, it was a 'trick' question.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

Dunc wrote:I have always believed that you don't tell anyone where your keys/spare keys are, not even your FEO...
I agree! Sad to say but don't trust them!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

I was asked the same question on our last renewal, my reply was polite and too the point "sorry not going to tell you"
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

I have just spoken to the firearm licencing and they have advised that this is a new question for all FAC holders, they stated you could decline, however I was not advised of this at the time - now moving my spare keys.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Dunc wrote:I have always believed that you don't tell anyone where your keys/spare keys are, not even your FEO...
That's what I heard too.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

I'd say damage my property, I won't care, I'll be dead.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#8 Post by hitchphil »

I would not sign up to this my rifles are worth over £ks & some. Police do not need to return any rifle 'voluntarily surrendered'. So your estate might miss out on selling them. My will says what to happen with them & a letter in a safe place says who to call & what to do, where they go & that is to an RFD I trust (yes even when dead or i haunt them!) & they will do my wishes for me for a very nominal fee.

Move your spares. Write a letter 'In the event of my demise & to be opened immediately' put that somewhere & write a will.

..remember to apologise for croaking to the wife & kids & HMRC etc.......
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Dunc
Home club or Range: Marlow

#9 Post by Dunc »

I vaguely remember a similar thread on another forum quite a while ago as to how best to pre-handle one's sudden departure. Opinions varied between keys being totally hidden and a locksmith picking the lock to get access or someone using a grinder.

More palatable suggestions, but I doubt if the licensing dept would approve, was to give them to a trusted fellow FAC holder who DID NOT have access to your house or to a solicitor who holds your will.

We have a few solicitors in our club so I must ask them for their views on this...
andrew375

#10 Post by andrew375 »

No this is quite wrong - and they should know it as several of my friends have been asked this, apparently seeking to entrap them.

The case law revolves around the case, about 20 years ago, of an FAC holder, a QC no less, who had his ticket revoked and property seized as a result of being asked this question by the pen tester who visited him at renewal. The question asked was something like "who would know where his keys were in case of emergency when he was away; such as a fire?" He replied that the keys were in a hidden, secure location known only by himself and his 80+ year old mother who lived over 100 miles away, who had no means of transport but was listed with his office as his In Case of Emergency number. The prosecution case was that he allowed access to an unauthorised person, his mother, to his firearms. An utterly ridiculous and pointless prosecution but he lost none the less.

So no, you must never tell anyone where you keep your keys. No matter what.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.