FAC renewal - new question asked

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: FAC renewal - new question asked

#11 Post by Mattnall »

andrew375 wrote:No this is quite wrong - and they should know it as several of my friends have been asked this, apparently seeking to entrap them.

The case law revolves around the case, about 20 years ago, of an FAC holder, a QC no less, who had his ticket revoked and property seized as a result of being asked this question by the pen tester who visited him at renewal. The question asked was something like "who would know where his keys were in case of emergency when he was away; such as a fire?" He replied that the keys were in a hidden, secure location known only by himself and his 80+ year old mother who lived over 100 miles away, who had no means of transport but was listed with his office as his In Case of Emergency number. The prosecution case was that he allowed access to an unauthorised person, his mother, to his firearms. An utterly ridiculous and pointless prosecution but he lost none the less.

So no, you must never tell anyone where you keep your keys. No matter what.
Keep it a secret.

I remember the case slightly differently, that the police went round when the lawyer was out and his mother knew where the keys were, I also remember his mother's house wasn't his main residence. In the judicial appeal court case the judge stated it was unrealistic to expect someone you live with not to know or have an idea where spare keys were kept but the case was upheld following the strict wording in Act.

I'll attempt to look it up.
ETA: Farrer –v- Chief Constable Essex (2000),
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Paul101
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn & St. Michael's R&P club + The Grove

#12 Post by Paul101 »

I've just renewed my FAC this month with Cambridgeshire and that was not on the sheet or even mentioned on my phone interview .
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

FEO's making things up themselves for a change 8-)
DVC
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#14 Post by David TS »

andrew375 wrote:No this is quite wrong - and they should know it as several of my friends have been asked this, apparently seeking to entrap them.

The case law revolves around the case, about 20 years ago, of an FAC holder, a QC no less, who had his ticket revoked and property seized as a result of being asked this question by the pen tester who visited him at renewal. The question asked was something like "who would know where his keys were in case of emergency when he was away; such as a fire?" He replied that the keys were in a hidden, secure location known only by himself and his 80+ year old mother who lived over 100 miles away, who had no means of transport but was listed with his office as his In Case of Emergency number. The prosecution case was that he allowed access to an unauthorised person, his mother, to his firearms. An utterly ridiculous and pointless prosecution but he lost none the less.

So no, you must never tell anyone where you keep your keys. No matter what.
Pretty crap QC then, I wouldn't be hiring him in a hurry lol
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

A locksmith charged 40 quid to gain access to my mate's cabinets. I'm sure my "estate" can wear that...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
RufusRover
Home club or Range: Cornwall Fullbore Pistol club

#16 Post by RufusRover »

My son has not had had his visit from Devon and Cornwall for his first FAC grant and they never asked him where his keys were going to be. The nice officer did however suggest that he should apply for a couple of other rifles at the same time as it would avoid him having to pay for a variation a few years down the line - TOP Bloke!