First .357 Magnum

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

JammyGuns

Re: First .357 Magnum

#21 Post by JammyGuns »

Beautiful! I also picked up a Uberti 1873 in .44/40 from A and A gunsmiths recently (all slicked up, not that it's really necessary with these) - stunning rifles; very accurate and like butter to operate, I will never ever sell it. I love the case hardening finish on yours much better, really eye catching. Congrats.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#22 Post by Lever357 »

Wow, that is lovely, well done. You will enjoy shooting it. That is what I had decided on - octagonol barrel with colour case hardened finish but fell for this one instead!
Attachments
20170106_214352 (1).jpg
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#23 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:Dauntsey stock both the traditional and modern finish of the Henry rifle and both are slightly cheaper than their Uberti stock. What made you plump for the Uberti?
I'm interested in a .45 Colt under lever so am doing a bit of research on the various options.
I've got a 1873 Uberti Competition model in .45LC.

My friend has a Henry in .357 and I've shot that a lot as well.

The Henry is a lovely piece of kit, but naturally I prefer my Uberti.
With the big .45 rounds, the side loading gate is much nicer IMHO, the action is slick, and I just think the 1973 just looks so much better.

The only downside to the 1873 for many people (not me of course) is that the 1873 design is not optic friendly.

I've also shot a Rossi in .45LC as well, and if I was on more of a budget, I'd happily have a .45 Rossi instead. In fact, if it was a choice between the Rossi and Henry, I'd go for the Rossi.

But the 1873 for me is still pick of the bunch :good:
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

GeeRam wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Dauntsey stock both the traditional and modern finish of the Henry rifle and both are slightly cheaper than their Uberti stock. What made you plump for the Uberti?
I'm interested in a .45 Colt under lever so am doing a bit of research on the various options.

With the big .45 rounds, the side loading gate is much nicer IMHO, the action is slick, and I just think the 1973 just looks so much better.

The only downside to the 1873 for many people (not me of course) is that the 1873 design is not optic friendly.

I've also shot a Rossi in .45LC as well, and if I was on more of a budget, I'd happily have a .45 Rossi instead. In fact, if it was a choice between the Rossi and Henry, I'd go for the Rossi.

I looked at a .45 Rossi at Daunstsey but was a little put off by how light it felt when I first hefted it. I have a Marlin .44 and had expected the .45 to feel either the same weight or perhaps heavier. Instead it felt much lighter - perhaps even lighter than my Winchester .357
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:
GeeRam wrote:

I looked at a .45 Rossi at Daunstsey but was a little put off by how light it felt when I first hefted it. I have a Marlin .44 and had expected the .45 to feel either the same weight or perhaps heavier. Instead it felt much lighter - perhaps even lighter than my Winchester .357
Yes, they are very light. I shot the Rossi .45 with normal factory ammo as well, not the lighter 'cowboy' action loads, but it wasn't a handful........although my shoulder was a little tender after 50 rounds. It was also the shorter 16" trapper style as well with round barrel, so probably not the ideal combination.

I wouldn't trade my Uberti for anything though, its my favourite thing to shoot by a big margin.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#26 Post by dromia »

I am currently shooting a Uberti 1860 Henry in 44/40, a Uberti 1873 in 38/40 and a Uberti 73 rifle octagonal barrel in .357. I also have an 1866 in 32/20 on order whenever Uberti run another batch.

They are all fine firearms, my favourite is the 1860 Henry and is a fine 200 yrd rifle with black powder loads, the little carbine in 38/40 is fast becoming my indoor 25-50 yard shooting favourite even although I usually prefer the long guns. The Octagonal barreled '73 is another fine gun but the 357 calibre does nothing for me, not that there is anything wrong with it it is straight walled so doesn't do so well at givig a gas seal when loading BP.

I opened up the action of the 1860 after its first 500 BP rounds and it was as clean as a whistle. The Kings patent loading gate is indeed handy but I just love sliding those 44/40s down the magazine tube on the 1860.

Each to his own.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

Just had a phone call, my Uberti 1866 24 1/2" octagonal barrel sporting rifle in 32-20 is in! goodjob

Picking up on Friday.

Huzzah! clapclap shakeshout lollol

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/