Lever Action Sights

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

Lever Action Sights

#1 Post by sclg »

Hi,
Just got a new Henry Big Boy in .357 and much as I like it, I'm not enamoured with the rear sight. This is mostly due to my eyesight!
On my (original) Winchester, I've got a tang-style peep sight and I'd like to get something similar on the Henry.
A bit of Googling suggests a couple of alternatives:
a) Skinner sights. Mounts using the scope rail holes. "Henry Big Boy Express" c70% down this page.
b) Marble Arms tang peep sights. Requires drilling and tapping some holes into the (brass) frame.

The latter is more like what I'm used to but seems a bit dearer and, while I'm generally happy drilling and tapping things, I'm not sure about hardened brass!
Anyone any experience of either of these or any other recommendations? (I don't see any UK suppliers of either of these although both will ship to the UK.)
Thanks
Steve
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Lever Action Sights

#2 Post by Les »

I have Skinner peep sights on my two Henrys - one is barrel mounted, and the other is receiver mounted on the scope rail. Normal post and notch sights are a total no-no for me, but the aperture sights are great, and the quality of the Skinner units is excellent. :good: If you fit the receiver mounted sight, you'll probably need a higher front sight.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019

#3 Post by sclg »

Do you get enough elevation adjustment with the Skinner to cope with both 25 and 50 yds??
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Have a look for Williams Firesights. I've got a set on my Marlin but you'd need to check if there's a set that fits the Henry Big Boy. These sights are the standard U notch and front post except the rear sights have two green fibre optic dots and the front post is a red fibre optic. These sights are mounted on the front and rear sight dovetail slots so no drilling and tapping required!

I mostly shoot my Marlin on indoor gallery range and the lighting is terrible for picking up open sights, but the lighting does light up those fire sights very well!
sclg
Site Supporter 2019

#5 Post by sclg »

WelshShooter wrote:Have a look for Williams Firesights. I've got a set on my Marlin but you'd need to check if there's a set that fits the Henry Big Boy. These sights are the standard U notch and front post except the rear sights have two green fibre optic dots and the front post is a red fibre optic. These sights are mounted on the front and rear sight dovetail slots so no drilling and tapping required!

I mostly shoot my Marlin on indoor gallery range and the lighting is terrible for picking up open sights, but the lighting does light up those fire sights very well!
Thanks but my problem is my inability to focus on a notch rear sight so I'm not sure this would do for me. With a peep hole, I don't have to focus - just look through it!!
S
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

I have a Williams Gunsights with a new front sight on my Marlin .357, bought from here: http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/marlin_rifles.html, these are highly recommended.
Attachments
DSCN0291[1].jpg
DSCN0291[1].jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Try turning the rear sight round in its dovetail, putting it further away from your eyes might bring it into focus.

You should only be focusing on the fore sight anyway.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
sclg
Site Supporter 2019

#8 Post by sclg »

dromia wrote: You should only be focusing on the fore sight anyway.
Yes - but with my eyes the rear sight is so out of focus it's hard to tell when everything is in line!!
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#9 Post by Airbrush »

Do you wear glasses?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Have a word with your optician he may be able to make you a pair of shooting glasses. My optician made me a pair to use with my Winchester trapper. I have a williams peep sight on mine I can not use the normal rear sight or a square notch sight but the peep sight is fine.