Versatile Target Rifle.....

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mac

Versatile Target Rifle.....

#1 Post by Mac »

After almost 30 years away from shooting (long story – working overseas, career, marriage, kids etc….) I have recently become an NRA full member and applied for a FAC. In my younger days I was a reasonably proficient target shooter (mainly small bore) and now want to spend more time on full and small bore. I’ve applied for a .308 slot and would welcome thoughts on a suitable rifle but I would like something that I can grow into as (hopefully!) I get back into the swing of things! But, I really want something with a fully adjustable stock. I’ve also noted stocks that accommodate both small and full bore actions and was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations? Would like a target rifle capable across all ranges out to 1,000yds and budget wise was wondering whether 3-4k would cover it? All thoughts welcome?? I’m sure I’ll have other questions as things progress but that’s my “starter for 10”…..
psychosomatic88
Home club or Range: Offas dyke and Glevum TSC

Re: Versatile Target Rifle.....

#2 Post by psychosomatic88 »

Welcome Mac.

At first glance your budget sounds fine. However, what sort of targets are you planning on shooting? That can help tailor advice. F/tr, informal general range targets or the likes of figure 11 electronic targets like at Sennybridge f range etc etc? Scoped or iron sighted?
Mac

#3 Post by Mac »

Thks. Just TR at this point, no scope although that may change if my eyes give out! Shooting largely at Bisley if that helps.
rhysatkins
Home club or Range: LMRA

#4 Post by rhysatkins »

HPS Targets do a convertible stock: https://www.hps-tr.com/en/the-hps-conve ... ifle-stock

and I believe maybe the System Gemini stock is. You budget maybe be pushing closer to £5k if you are getting everything new.

at which point you could just get two rifles and save your self the bother. A lot of very good TR shooters don't use fully adjustable stocks.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#5 Post by hitchphil »

Actions - only 1 worth buying new at this time = Barnard. but 2nd hand older Quadlocks, PRA 2000 or Paramount's are exceptional & what the GB team generally use to beat the rest of the world. Swing are also still very good but spares are now made not original. Grunig also worth a look. CG Inch if you can find one, USA makes are appearing in a few places & Stolly Panda are well regarded by some F class shooters.
Barrels - Krieger are 'in' but the HPS Walther, Bartline are also very good as are Archer (Border barrels relocated to Brum) also Madco if you can get them (I have a madco / Swing on 10krnds shooting 1moa...... & a Quadlock Gemini Boarder shooting 0.5moa :-) )
Sights - Trakker or Warner on the back & Rightsight on the front 22 or 32mm.
Stocks - Google Robbert Nibbs rifle maker for the original Gemeni & as mentioned HPS TR for their but also look at what are the top GB shots using - 75% wood once fitted to you they are as good as any the big advantage to alloy stocks is no effects of rain in the bedding (unless you leave it there then the gun rusts to hell)
Look up Ellesemer Target Sports for a quote and Crispin Engineering, as well as Dolphin, Norman Clarke, HPS & others.............
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
rox

#6 Post by rox »

Mac wrote:I’ve also noted stocks that accommodate both small and full bore actions and was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations? Would like a target rifle capable across all ranges out to 1,000yds and budget wise was wondering whether 3-4k would cover it?
Grünig stocks take Anschütz, Bleiker and Grünig actions without modification. and can be adapted to take Musgrave, Barnard and others.

I started with one Grünig stock shared between an Anschütz and a Grünig .308 TR. Swapping it around multiple times per week became a pain though, so as more actions arrived I added more stocks. The Anschütz now lives in one permanently, and 4 .308 actions share 2 more stocks. New prices for complete Grünig rifles are pretty eye-watering, but I've only ever bought the stocks new. They are very popular in .22 and 300m shooting; less so in TR, but they can definitely shoot well (e.g. 404 ex 405 over Queen's I/II/III last weekend), and parts & support are readily available. You might find a nearly new complete TR in your price range, and would only need to add an Anschütz barreled action at modest cost to complete the pair.

Mac

#7 Post by Mac »

Many thanks to all for the tips which I'll follow up and thanks to those who have PM'd me also (can't reply yet as I think I need to post more before I can PM!). I've noticed RPA have both a Quadlock and Quadlite action; in practical terms what's the difference?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

I have a Quadlite and I suppose you could say it's a "normal" size action. The Quadlock just seemed huge, to me...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
martinJ 123
Home club or Range: Bisley

#9 Post by martinJ 123 »

The setting out of the front runners in terms of barrels, sights stock etc is extremely useful to 'newbies' like me... many thanks.

If one was to purchase an example from each component list and concoct a rifle, presumably this would need to be built by a gunsmith? Would we be looking at around £5k? If so, in the event that the barrel wears out, am I right in thinking that one can buy another and screw it in ... as simple as that?

It's just that if I spent £5k and after 2 years I needed to sped another £2k(?) then I may be looking at divorce proceedings to also fund lol
rox

#10 Post by rox »

martinJ 123 wrote:It's just that if I spent £5k and after 2 years I needed to sped another £2k(?) then I may be looking at divorce proceedings to also fund lol
TR barrels are usually chambered & fitted by a gunsmith. Headspace need to be matched to your action and the chamber cut & throated to your specification. A chambered 'spare' barrel requires it's own slot on your FAC, so even if they were available you can't just buy one and screw it on. After swapping barrels with iron sights the foresight requires careful alignment. Currently a good quality barrel will cost you circa £750 fitted & proofed. Typically in TR they will stay competitive for 5,000 to 6,000 rounds, so most folks need a new one every 2 to 3 seasons, but obviously that depends how much you shoot; I'm needing about one a year now.