Versatile Target Rifle.....

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Versatile Target Rifle.....

#11 Post by proteus »

Mac wrote:Many thanks to all for the tips which I'll follow up and thanks to those who have PM'd me also (can't reply yet as I think I need to post more before I can PM!). I've noticed RPA have both a Quadlock and Quadlite action; in practical terms what's the difference?
The quadlite is based on a lightweight hunting action I believe and doesn't seem to be held in that high a regard for serious TR shooters (having said that I know there are people using them with good success). The quadlock is a "proper" TR action
but new quadlocks are also talked down currently as supposedly the manufacturing tolerance isn't what it used to be or some such. Second hand RPA2000 are highly recommended or if new the general wisdom seems to be just bite the bullet and buy the barnard.

Tbh I would speak to a few gunsmiths you trust and go with the recommendation of one. I would also recommend getting out with a club if you haven't already and using a club rifle before you lay out such a large investment. You may find you prefer a wooden stock or you may even decide you're just as good with an older 2nd hand swing or paramount which can be had for much less money.
rhysatkins
Home club or Range: LMRA

Re: Versatile Target Rifle.....

#12 Post by rhysatkins »

Mac wrote:Many thanks to all for the tips which I'll follow up and thanks to those who have PM'd me
What did you go for in the end Mac?