SVD scope

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: SVD scope

#21 Post by froggy »

You did a very good job James - You SVD looks indeed great :good:

Here is mine - Exactly the way I got it except the bipod - I only attached the stock rubber pad with a St George ribbon for that "Dombass Freedom Fighters" show of support O:-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
James84

#22 Post by James84 »

That looks brilliant! The AK looks great as well.

I'm looking forward to my next work trip to my Prague office...
froggy
Past Supporter

#23 Post by froggy »

I'm looking forward to my next work trip to my Prague office...

Why not make the most of your business trip ? I do !! O:-)

https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... in#p273883
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#24 Post by snayperskaya »

James048 wrote:Yep, over at Bisley popping away on my own. I found I actually do better with the 4x than the 8x, at 300 I was getting pretty good groupings, all shots within 3 rings.

It was the first outing with all the SVD gizzets attached. I got ahold of an '87 Soviet SVD which had been chopped up so I swapped out all the parts to make mine full SVD spec including the sling loop, rear sight and stock etc.

I got the calipers on it out of curiosity and interestingly the Tigr actually has a thicker barrel than an SVD. I always thought it was the other way.
Some Tigrs have the 565mm SVDS-spec barrel which is 1mm thicker than a SVD barrel or a 530mm barrel.The 620mm long SVD-spec barrel with the full length flash hider are "special order" parts and not fitted as the norm......if you have the 620mm barrel/flash hider and the original hamdbook you will see it listed as "special order", as are additional magazines etc.

If your 4x is an original PSO-1 you'll find it will outperform a 8x Belarusian POSP, I don't know why but I have had three 8x42vd POSP scopes and none of them were as good as a Russian Novosibirsk made PSO-1.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
James84

#25 Post by James84 »

Froggy I'm jealous. My colleagues all head to a 50m range just North of Prague, I will ask them about getting on that one...

Yeah I have the 620mm barrel. I remember hearing that when these are made they get chucked together with whatever they have in the factory at the time. Mine has the adjustable gas reg but I've seen some with the non-adjustable and I've seen some with bayonet lugs, others without etc.

It is indeed the original scope with the IR filter like yours. Got to love that Russian simplistic genius! The US have active IR and night vision? How much does it cost??? Well we're not going to pay for that, we'll just give the guys a $10 filter so they can see the US stuff. I guess it's like the tank myth - the US spent $ kitting out the interiors with padding. The Russians gave their crew helmets...

One question for you, do you reload for yours and if so, which bullets have you found work best? I have a batch of PPU 303 heads that I've been using as they're .311 and they seem OK :)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#26 Post by snayperskaya »

Mine has the adjustable gas regulator as well......US Tigrs don't have them as a rule and you won't find a factory Tigr with a bayonet lug.

To be fair the Tigr/SVD rifles, civilian or military, don't get "chucked together", each one is hand assembled and finished and for civilian rifles the parts fitted are exactly what were specified for that rifle at the time of ordering.If you see one without a gas regulator it is because that particular rifle was ordered without one.My manual for mine contains a itemised list of what was fitted to it and what accessories were included and has ful OTK inspection stamps and signatures from production, to test firing and packing.

Whats the $10 filter?.....the IR detector is inside the main body of the scope and is a screen that is coated with an IR sensitive element that is "charged up" by a light source (the sun or a fluorescent light etc) through the little window on top of the scope body.Incidentally the Russians widely issued night vision scopes and made particular use of them during the Soviet-Afghan conflict on Dragunov's and AKM's etc.

Top is a 1pn58, middle is a 1pn34 and the PSO-1 at the bottom.....all three function as they should

Best bullets I've reloaded for it with are PPU 150gr SPBT....getting 0.8 MOA 5 shot groups at 100m with them.The 1:320mm twist rate favours a 150-ish grain bullet and is the same twist rate as the original Dragunov barrels.I have tried 170-180r bullets in mine but it really doesn't like them.To be fair it is accurate enough with 150gr Russian military ammo but it really likes those PPU SPBT bullets :good:

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#27 Post by bnz41 »

Nice close group, I have ordered some of those PPU bullets as the SMK SP150gr I have used are more expensive.

Good looking scope group picture. ussrflag
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#28 Post by snayperskaya »

Thank you Tovarisch ussrflag

For the price those PPU bullets are superb and I get much better accuracy with them than with the heavier SMK bullets.

froggy
Past Supporter

#29 Post by froggy »

Nice collection Tovarich & awesome grouping :good:
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

James.....any pics of the front sling loop?, I want to change mine and wondering what the gas block is like to get off in order to change it.